Cumulative update KB 3118754

aekyall
4StarLounger

Cumulative update KB 3118754

Post by aekyall »

Has anyone had any issues letting this cumulative update install? I ask as since installing it I've had a some issues with both my internet connection (spasmodic) and WLM (constant errors) - see screenshot below. I tried a system restore back to just before KB 3118754 - which didn't work (I'd forgotten to switch off Symantec AV tamperproof function - silly mistake!!) - I only found out system restore had failed when I got to log back on. As I'd screwed up with my AV, I decided just to log in with (I thought) the update still loaded.

First thing that happened was Symantec said my system might be at risk and it needed to resolve it. It downloaded about 47MBs of updates - so system restore had obviously done something; once back up to date everything was okay with AV and, lo and behold, when I opened WLM it ran perfectly okay and internet connection is fine (coincidence?).

Worryingly (and hence the original question) - The cumulative update has just been offered to me again, so it was obviously removed by Windows during the aborted system restore (?). I checked history and the original KB 3118754 is still listed as being installed, with the same one showing as ready to install.

I've put off the (re)install as long as I can (Thursday of next week!), hopefully give me a bit of time to see if anyone else has an issue or whether I was just a bit unfortunate and it was, for whatever reason, just a coincidence - or something!
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cumulative update KB 3118754

Post by HansV »

The update has been successfully installed on my PC twice - on the 19th and on the 20th. So either there was a problem with the initial release and Microsoft re-released a new version, or it's one of those updates that keeps on being installed time and again. (I had the latter problem with two Microsoft .Net packages for a while)
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans. I'll hang back from installing it again for a bit just to see if my original problem stays away/comes back!
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Well! So much for setting a date/time for (re)installation of KB 3118754! I'd set it for 0330 on Thursday 26th but when I just shut down my computer tonight Windows decided that it would be a good time to install it anyway! Fortunately, everything seems to be okay and I don't have any of the previous noted issues re internet/WLM - at least so far.

It didn't seem to be a usual install though (?): When I selected 'shut down' it went straight to 'installing updates don't shut down your computer' - Got to 30% done and then powered down! I waited a few minutes and powered back up again - it then continued the 'installing updates don't etc etc' again, starting from the 30%. After a few minutes it automatically restarted again and presented me with my log-in screen.

Will restart my computer again in the morning with fingers crossed!: Both KB 3118754's are listed in my update history as being successfully installed.
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

All's well with the world! Whatever my issue(s) was, it hasn't reappeared. Both KB's appear in my history as successful updates. Guess I'll never know if it was an issue with the update or just a coincidence - probably the latter.
Regards,
Keith