A Pre-Upgrade Checklist for Windows 10

Rudi
gamma jay

A Pre-Upgrade Checklist for Windows 10

Post by Rudi »

Although millions of people have already jumped on the Windows 10 wagon, there are still millions of upgraders waiting in the wings. If you want your upgrade to be as painless as possible read on as we highlight the best practices for upgrading your PC to Windows 10.

Update to Windows 10 Headache Free With A Pre-Upgrade Checklist
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: A Pre-Upgrade Checklist for Windows 10

Post by JoeP »

That is a terrific article. Should be a must read for anyone considering an upgrade.

Above all make an image of your current system and backup your files.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

JoeP wrote: Above all make an image of your current system and backup your files.
Joe
Just contemplating W10 from W7.
Is the standard Microsoft W7 System Image & File Backup adequate for this purpose :scratch:
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you create a system image, you create a complete backup of your hard disk: the Windows operating system and its settings, all installed programs and their settings, and all your files. It is a snapshot of your computer. So if upgrading to Windows 10 fails, you should be able to restore your computer to the state it was in when you created the system image.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:When you create a system image, you create a complete backup of your hard disk: the Windows operating system and its settings, all installed programs and their settings, and all your files. It is a snapshot of your computer. So if upgrading to Windows 10 fails, you should be able to restore your computer to the state it was in when you created the system image.
One thing to be careful about: If your attempted upgrade goes so badly that you can't boot the computer, you'll need a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick containing whatever software you need to restore the image onto the hard drive.

Most image backup programs have an option to create that bootable drive, usually called a 'restore disk' or something similar. Create it, and then test it. (One that I made from the built-in Windows 7 backup would boot, but apparently had no USB driver, so my USB keyboard and wireless mouse couldn't be recognized. #FAIL) Once you know it works, store the restore disk somewhere that won't leave you wondering where you put it!

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks for your advice. I did think that the W7 inbuilt imaging would be OK but so many of you install other solutions which suggests that the standard Microsoft is not adequate for a total restore. I keep a monthly update on an ext HD plus a second copy of My Library ... the latter I can use to gain access to individual files if I need a lost or deleted file. I have a Repair CD for this Windows software ... though I confess that I have never dared to 'test it' :sad: One day (perhaps on my lady's pc :laugh: ) I will test out this system restore product.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

My pre-upgrade checklist for Windows 10:

Are you an intelligent human? YES / NO

If NO, then upgrade immediately!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I upgraded immediately. Does that imply that I am not an intelligent human?
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

That's MY checklist. Your's may be different. :grin:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'll leave it to the Lounge Pedant to comment on that... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Don't panic this ageing gentleman .... please. I want to try the latest but I am scared :sad:
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Ron,
It's certainly up to you of course, but I don't think you will be disappointed if you take the plunge. What you see (for the most part) on the web are the horror stories of the very significant minority of users. Certainly, there is no denying that there have been problems. But there were problems when users upgraded from EVERY previous version of Windows. The sun is still shining however, and the earth is still spinning on its axis.

What you do NOT see or read (again for the most part) are accounts of the hundreds of millions of SUCCESSFUL migrations and upgrades. If no problems are encountered, then why bother to post about the experience? Is anybody really interested in the fact that I upgraded successfully or that the process ran smoothly? I don't think so.

Those that have encountered legitimate problems may submit postings to try and resolve their problems. But there are also the naysayers who will post rants and negative comments simply because Microsoft is an easy and familiar target. If you do upgrade, then I hope you have as positive an experience as the vast majority of the others who have followed the same path. GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks John
You are so positive! Obviously millions have upgraded without issues and yes, a cold sun is shining here today. I can state that I have always used a pc and Ms operating sw has never failed me. As the weather here gets colder, keeping me more home bound, it will be a good time to 'push the button'. Ms assured me that I will have English as 1st booted but I may have to set up again the keyboard for Norwegian layout ... need it for extra letters.
Will be 'on board' before winter.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

One of those horror stories is a personal friend and fellow patent author who knows software. His experiences were very bad as about everything he runs in the normal course of the day failed in one way or another. Unfortunately the time limit for returning to the original OS (Win 7) had passed so he's in the process of installing 7 and all this system from scratch. The "free" upgrade to Win 10 will, in time, cost him considerably to upgrade or change the applications he works with, in addition to all the lost time he's now spending to recreate a working system.

Many people have successfully upgraded, but please do check compatibility before upgrading, and not just Microsoft's evaluation. That's the one area the checklist posted by Rudi, IMHO, leaves out or goes over in insufficient detail.

Search/Google for reports about any problems other people may be having. Waiting to upgrade while other people find the problems and have fixes in place will not cost anyone anything, but not waiting and finding significant issues will cost time and possibly money to return to a working state. All the other prep work mentioned in the checklist can be done at leisure, but be thorough in your research of YOUR applications.

Maybe I overstate the risk, but I believe it's worth mentioning especially as there are many in this community that find the upgrade process bewildering, and recovery next to impossible should the need arise. Prevention is still better than any cure.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Interesting that you mentioned this. On checking some of my audio and video editing programmes I do get some non compatibility issues stated by suppliers, at least to the extent to do best practice checks. Of course they are also interested in selling later software versions! Microsoft do not show any in their scans.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Due diligence is required before any major upgrade particularly an OS upgrade. In general, any program running on a Windows 8/8.1 machine will run on Windows 10. The vast majority of programs running on Windows 7 will run on Windows 10. The usual suspects of anti-virus/anti-malware programs need to be checked closely. As best you can you should check hardware/driver compatibility. Printers and scanners are the devices which are usually suspect with regard to drivers. Check with all the various vendors. Sometimes the drivers supplied with Windows will be enough to use the device if a full driver is not available. You may not be able to use all the features of the device. But then again you may not be using them anyway.

I've upgraded four machines without major incident. Three were very clean. The Dell Venue Pro had to have a lot of "stuff" cleaned up as it is a small storage device. Two of the PCs have had numerous Windows 10 builds installed as part of the Windows Insider Program.

Don't forget to backup your system before embarking on the upgrade. If you successfully upgrade and decide to return to the prior OS within 30 days you may do so from within Windows 10. After 30 days you'll need an image from before the upgrade. Recovering from a failed upgrade may be automatic. If you have an image backup you know you can recover though.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Lots of good advice, thanks Joe
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

First off, I'm loathe to be a beta tester of software to begin with. Then, Garbette upgraded and she couldn't play any of her Steam games. Oh the horror. The 29 mom questions mom couldn't answer...she finally got it fixed and is happy. Says it's more stable.Still, I was going to wait until the day before the "free" ends, just to make sure. But since Hans upgraded without issues, I guess as long as I use a checklist and have a backup laptop just in case, I might just try it.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I haven't had a problem playing Steam games on Windows 10...
Best wishes,
Hans