Windows 10 and Hyper-V

Teunis
3StarLounger

Windows 10 and Hyper-V

Post by Teunis »

In Windows 7-64 HP I still use VirtualPC to run a number of specialized DOS programs under XP prof. This works still very well. VPC is not available anymore in Win10, so I should change to something else to still run my DOS software (not games!).

Hyper-V was built into Win7 Pro. My question: is it also built into Windows 10 Home version (or what it's called these days) and if so, how to find it? I read that, if available, one should find it under Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off. I cannot find it on my son's laptop who recently upgraded to Win 10 Home. So I am curious to know. If not available what other virtualization software that runs under Win 10 Home is recommended?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 and Hyper-V

Post by HansV »

No, Hyper-V is not available in Windows 10 Home, only in the 64-bit versions of Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise and Education.

VirtualBox currently still has issues on Windows 10. VMLite is based on VirtualBox, so I assume the same holds.

You might try the free version of VMWare Player.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Clear, thanks Hans. I still have 11.5 months to upgrade to Win 10, hopefully by then VirtualBox runs smoothly on Win 10 Home.
Regards, Teunis

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you think you might want to go with Win10 Pro you ought to hunt down an upgrade to Win7 Pro. They are generally cheaper than the $99 USD that the Win10 Home to Pro upgrade costs.

Joe
Joe

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Thanks, good idea! Right now I am trying to stop Win 10 from installing itself automatically. I did sign up, did not expect this automatic behaviour. I want to postpone it at least a couple of months.

Regards, Teunis