Downloading/installing Windows 10

aekyall
4StarLounger

Downloading/installing Windows 10

Post by aekyall »

Well! - 1600 Monday duly came (see 'Windows 10 and Graphics' thread if you don't know what I mean!) and here I am, running Windows 10! It would seem all went very smoothly - I wasn't actually present; had to go out unexpectedly and just left my computer on. Came back to find it installed and awaiting my input! Family descended on us unexpectedly this morning (come for a holiday!!!!), so am trying to juggle half a dozen jobs at once, none of them very successfully I suspect. Anyway, all seems well. I have access to Eileen's Lounge, which is the most important thing, and my E-mail, so I'm content for the moment. When I get chance I will have a good play around and let you know if I find anything untoward. What I have done though is to switch from Edge back to IE11 - mainly on the advice of NIS!! Overall first impressions are good! :grin: My thanks to all for the guidance and advice.
Regards,

Edited to amend other thread detail
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Downloading/installing Windows 10

Post by HansV »

Congratulations! :fanfare:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Excellent news. Enjoy it... :clapping:

I'm still eagerly waiting for my plunge into Win10. I am using a work PC running Win7 Enterprise, so no auto upgrade for me. We will be getting Win10 very soon and my name is one of the first down as a "pilot user"...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:I'm still eagerly waiting for my plunge into Win10.
Relax Rudi.
Think "penguins".
Now that one of us has jumped (or got shoved) off the ice-floe the rest of us can just watch :evilgrin:

Keith: Congratulations!
And thanks for becoming the Eileen's Lounge expert; now I know who to turn to for help :evilgrin:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Chris! Got shoved is right! But, I must have made a clean entry into the water as I've not seen any 'ripples' yet :evilgrin:
Not had much chance to play around with it as have family staying - my computer time is somewhat limited at the moment - I'm currently relying on input from Prof Hans (and all the other Lounge experts - of whom I ain't one!!) to keep me from going astray!! :grin:

Let us know how you get on Rudi. I found reading all the W10 threads prior to the install really useful - kept me from making stupid errors - and allowed me to retain better control over what MS wanted me to accept !!

Onward!!
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Keith,

I should be upgrading by end of the week. We have received the Enterprise licences and just waiting for the software to arrive.
I have had my eye on the threads in the Win10 forum and am itching to apply the advice to experience it for myself.

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Is there any way to 'disable' Edge? I've made IE11 my default browser and have also clicked on the 'turn live tile off' on the Microsoft Edge tile (visible from clicking the 'start' button - I'm not running in tile mode), but can, so far, find no other way of disabling or removing the browser. I seek to do so because whenever I run CCleaner, it automatically stops its clean when it gets to Edge, saying that Edge is still running and needs to be closed so that CCleaner can continue. I get offered the option to close Edge and do so. I then always get a prompt saying that the program is slow in closing and do I want to force a closure - I do, and CCleaner then continues merrily on its way!

I suppose I could just untick all the Edge options in CCleaner, so it didn't need to look, but it seems a rather silly way to accomplish my objective which is, if it's possible, to disable Edge.
:scratch:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently, some of Windows 10's system utilities use the Edge engine, so even if you don't use Edge yourself, you get this message - see Why is CCleaner asking to close the Edge Cache Database even though Edge is closed?

Hopefully, the warning message will be removed in a future update to CCleaner. Also see Windows 10, Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

:thankyou: :chocciebar:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:Chris! Got shoved is right! But, I must have made a clean entry into the water as I've not seen any 'ripples' yet
Well aekyall, you know what they say about the deadly silent crocodiles ...
(That "snap" you hear might not be the sound of your laptop being closed...)
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

:flee:
Regards,
Keith

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hello!
I just saved an ISO version of Windows on a DVD. I wanted to have a clean copy in case I needed to reformat the hard drive. Am I going to need a Product Key to install it?
Not sure my laptop will even take Windows 10 yet but I want to have everything should I need it.

Thanks!
Louise     :smile:

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Oops! Never mind! I just found it being discussed in another topic. Doesn't look too hopeful though. :scratch:

Thanks!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

As long as you start the upgrade from within Windows rather than booting from the DVD you will not need a product key. Once you have upgraded you can do a clean install without needing a key using install media. If you do a clean install after upgrading, you just skip the part where the install asks for a key.

Joe
Joe

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Thank you!