Why won't The NVIDIA control panel open?

PrestonK
Lounger

Why won't The NVIDIA control panel open?

Post by PrestonK »

Hello,
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and the NVIDIA control panel won't open. Any ideas?

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Why won't The NVIDIA control panel open?

Post by Rudi »

It might be a driver issue.
Go to the NVIDIA website and download the latest driver from there.
It seems to be working for others based on feedback in other forums. I don't have Win10 yet!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After Windows 10 has finished installing, it uses a plain vanilla video driver. You need to reboot once more to get it to "see" the NVidia driver.

But it won't hurt to install the latest driver (released yesterday, especially for Windows 10 compatibility)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PrestonK wrote:Hello,
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and the NVIDIA control panel won't open. Any ideas?
The NVIDIA driver 353.62 provided by MS with the Win10 release does not work. It has been reported on other sites.

I am still running Win8.1 but with Win10 Insider Program in a dual boot mode. I just booted into Win10IP and it downloaded a couple of security updates, Defender update and the NVIDIA update 353.62 for my GTX560. The NVIDA driver listed as 353.62 is not functioning correctly... an MS problem.

I uninstalled 353.62 (dated 2015.07.12) restarted the system (which loaded vanilla video drivers). I then went to the NVIDIA web site and found the drivers for my GTX560 and downloaded their version of 353.62. Installing and restarting brought the system back to fully function.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8.1 yesterday, it kept the NVidia driver I already had, and it worked fine after an extra reboot...
Best wishes,
Hans

PrestonK
Lounger

Post by PrestonK »

Success at last. Apparently MS wants to control all driver updates and you have to perform a re-install of the NVIDIA drivers.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:When I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8.1 yesterday, it kept the NVidia driver I already had, and it worked fine after an extra reboot...
Just out of curiosity, what NVIDIA version do you have and which graphic card? My graphic card, the GTX560 went bump-in-the-dark with the MS version 353.62.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have a GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I had driver 340.52 from about a year ago (I don't keep my video driver up to date all the time). After upgrading to Windows 10, I still had 340.52, and it worked fine - I tested a couple of graphics-intensive 3D games.

However, after reading about the problems others experienced, I downloaded 353.62 from the NVidia website and installed it. It also works fine.
Best wishes,
Hans