Windows 10 Widgets

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 Widgets

Post by RonH »

I love my CPU Meter and two clock widgets but W10 will not include.
However http://8gadgetpack.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; offers these. Any comment/safe to use :scratch:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Windows 10 Widgets

Post by Rudi »

I think its a risk that one will need to take if they are interested in .gadget files.
Best practice is to upload in a virtual environment and properly test them or test on a older (test) PC if available, or at least ensure you have your antivirus software up to date before installing. Obviously do not download from unreliable sources.

One of the points on the page states:
Aren't gadgets unsafe? Afterall, Microsoft removed them for a reason?
Gadgets can contain viruses like any other software. Despite the warning when installing a gadget people seemed to think that it is safe to run any gadget (e.g. like it is to view a website). That is not the case. Opening a gadget is as dangerous as it is to run an .exe file. But this is not a security hole. If an attacker wanted to access your computer, he'd need to convince you to open his prepared .gadget file. As long as you trust the source of the gadgets you install and you use anti-virus software you should be safe. You can read on Microsofts official statement to this here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

G'day Rudi & thanks for your reply.
I am aware of 'risks' (just using a pc is a risk :sad: ) but this download site does at least appear clean and reliable. But you never know ... I will hold off until I brave the W10 install and then have a look for possible 'official' options. I am hopeful that one of our members has used this site and can also comment.
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gadgets do not natively run in Windows 10. I'd not trust something that says it is installing the original Microsoft files. Will that be overwriting newer system files? You be better off finding an appropriate app in the store.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

JoeP wrote:Gadgets do not natively run in Windows 10. I'd not trust something that says it is installing the original Microsoft files. Will that be overwriting newer system files? You be better off finding an appropriate app in the store.

Joe
No worries Joe, I plan to softly, softly approach any 'new' possibilities. I am of course aware of apps on Android but apps on Windows will be a new experience ... just hope that there will be clocks and one show current memory/processor usage which I find useful when editing video etc.
Thanks for your comments.
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

RonH wrote: No worries Joe, I plan to softly, softly approach any 'new' possibilities. I am of course aware of apps on Android but apps on Windows will be a new experience ... just hope that there will be clocks and one show current memory/processor usage which I find useful when editing video etc.
Thanks for your comments.
CYa Ron
Does that mean that Windows 10 will not contain a Task Manager App? I hope not because I use it quite often to identify clues to problems I've created for myself.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Task Manager will still be available in Windows 10, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc or by right-clicking an empty part of the task bar and selecting Task Manager from the shortcut menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Task Manager in Windows 10 is a considerable improvement on previous incarnations!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Glad to hear that Task Manager is NOT going away and glad, also, to hear that it has been much improved.

Thank Hans and John!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Most of the programs you are used to seeing bundled with Windows are still there. Many have been changed/updated. I was referring to apps available through the Windows store only. Some of these are similar to the widgets in Vista/7.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the clarification, Joe!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)