Windows 10 and installed programmes

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 and installed programmes

Post by RonH »

The 'Get Windows 10' access logo shows that my devices and apps on my pc have no issues and I am good to go!
Go where and with what effect?

Like most, I have numerous programmes on my W7 pc and even though I am supposedly 'good to go', I do wonder if they will all operate as-is once I install W10. For example, I use WLMail 2011 with lots of Folders (including Storage Folders), three email addresses etc. Will this all be available following the W10 install or will I have to download WLM again and somehow try to restructure 100's of emails into new folders? If I save a copy of these emails and folders in My Documents, can I use this to auto-reconstruct. And the same for Contacts? And the same for???
(When you buy a new pc then you 'start from scratch' on all programmes apart from those pre-installed.)

In spite of various readings, I am 'age' confused :sad: Is it correct to assume that, apart from the few items listed by Microsoft as not being available in W10 (Media Centre, Desktop Gadgets etc), the rest of my programmes will be unchanged and available?

I would like to take up the W10 free offer but not if it requires me to spend many, many hours trying to reconstruct/reinstall various programmes.

Cheers Ron
(Perhaps it is also time to have W10 as a Board Index?)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Windows 10 and installed programmes

Post by DaveA »

There should be no problem, but one needs to always do a system backup before only major upgrade.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Dave.
I always each month back up my Folders/Files. In fact I do a W7 'Back up your computer' and include a backup of the System ... though the W7 System backup will I assume be of no value when W10 is installed. My prime concern is clearly the mass of email/folder and Contacts content that I have on the pc ... earlier I have read that W10 will come complete with its own email programme (forgot where I saw that!).
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I agree with DaveA and think you will be able to do the"update" OK.

BTW, Win 10 is already is in the Beta Forum.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Bob ... I have faith in both of you :cheers:
Didn't think to look at Beta for W10 but I guess it will be moved up shortly.
Cheers
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Windows General forum to the Beta Software forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've already seen posts elsewhere from two people who said they were told by a computer-store salesman that an upgrade to Windows 10 would require buying all new software. As usual, they're trying to use FUD scare tactics to make an unnecessary sale.

The most likely case where an upgrade to Win10 would require spending is an old printer or scanner whose manufacturer won't publish an updated driver. But that old a driver probably wouldn't work in Win7 either, and the free upgrade doesn't apply to XP or Vista. The other case is proprietary (usually business) software that relies on DLLs that are no longer supported; those businesses are likely to get a nasty surprise, but it really shouldn't be a surprise.