Windows 10 upgrade icon

dasadler
5StarLounger

Windows 10 upgrade icon

Post by dasadler »

Odd, I don't have a widows upgrade icon although I am running Windows 7 Pro on a Thinkpad (OS came installed on it and I have the Microsoft sticker with the authenticity number... or some kind of number). Any idea why I have been singled out from millions of users to not receive the upgrade icon?

Sure, I sold some Microsoft stock a few months ago but not enough to offend anyone.
Don

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 10 upgrade icon

Post by PaulB »

You should check to see if you have MS update KB3035583 installed. I believe this has to be installed to get the upgrade icon. You also need to have SP1 installed to qualify for the upgrade.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

See the link I gave in Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Systray Notifications - it refers to an update which instigates the notification. Can you check to see if you have installed it?
Leif

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks everyone. I checked and I do have SP1 installed and also KB3035583 is installed. I seem to have what is needed.
Don

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I just checked my wife's laptop. She has Win 7 SP1 installed along with KB3035583, yet she has no Win 10 upgrade icon. Perhaps Microsoft is staging the roll out over a period of time (sorry, Chris).
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Have you checked on the "Show Hidden Icons" up arrow \ Customize, to see if the GWX icon is set to Hide icons and notifications?
( I don't know why the Win 10 icon is called GWX )
GWX.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

G=Get
W=Windows
X=10 (Roman numeral)
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

My main computer has Windows 8.1 and I didn't get a Windows 10 upgrade icon. But when I happened to open Control Panel | Windows Update the reservation dialogue was displayed together with a reservation button.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I just had to do this yesterday -- I have two computers, both running identical copies of Win 7 SP1; one of them showed the Get Windows 10 icon and the other didn't.

I started with this post, which points out that you need two updates for Win 7 SP1: KB3035583 and KB2952664. The machine that didn't show the icon did have both updates installed, but I guessed that one or both weren't properly installed.

I uninstalled both of them and did a new check for updates. Only KB2952664 showed up. :hmmn: Go to the KB3035583 article, and the "How to obtain" section just says to use Windows Update. Right... $%^&. Google leads to a post on sevenforums.com. Thank you! Installed the update from the .mru file, and the icon magically appeared. :cheers:

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

@MalcolmWalker - I just did the same thing you described and Voila! there it was. Now I am happy. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Don

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:G=Get
W=Windows
X=10 (Roman numeral)
Anyone could decipher that cryptic designation. ( except me ) :evilgrin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.