Windows 10 version 2004 has been released

HansV
Administrator

Windows 10 version 2004 has been released

Post by HansV »

The latest version of Windows 10 is available, but Microsoft will roll it out gradually over the coming weeks/months. Unless you're in a hurry, just wait. If you really want to try it out, Select Start > Settings > Update & Security and click Check for Updates. Or download and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Installation took about an hour and a half on my PC. I could continue using it for most of that time. The update appeared to get stuck at 82% for a while, but there was a lot of background activity, and it eventually finished without problems.

There's nothing to get excited about - just small touches here and there.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 10 version 2004 has been released

Post by JoeP »

Here are two articles which Microsoft have published intending to show the new and improved features of this version.

For Home Users - What’s new in the Windows 10 May 2020 Update

For IT folk - What’s new for IT pros in Windows 10, version 2004.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Joe. As I wrote, not really exciting...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Nothing that I will notice - so I guess I'm happy to wait a while to install it
StuartR

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Installed it, it went smoothly and took a little over an hour. Was hard pressed to see any differences, had to read a what's new site to find them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

TonyE wrote:
29 May 2020, 06:57
Installed it, it went smoothly and took a little over an hour. Was hard pressed to see any differences, had to read a what's new site to find them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony, thanks for that. I've ALWAYS installed without fear when Macrium Images were standing by BUT this is the 1st time I postponed til late June per another Forum.
I may just Image again and go for it ALTHOUGH it is a Forgettable Update per Improvements gained.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Since the original release of Windows 10 my practice has always been to download the Media Tool to create an ISO file and burn it to an installation DVD. This allows me to have the necessary tool to reinstall fresh copies of the O/S, if needed, and help friends install the current feature release on their systems.

Wednesday, May 27

I downloaded the ISO file and burnt it to a bootable DVD. I elected to wait until the next day to start the installation process.

Thursday, May 28

My approach is to create and verify an image file of the current environment, then boot into the installation DVD to install the latest feature release.

After booting the v2004 installation DVD, it took its usual 10 minutes to evaluate the current environment then asked if I wanted to “Install Now” or “repair”. Selecting the “Install Now” it offered a list of the various versions of Windows 10. I selected Windows 10 Pro and continued. It then asked if I wanted to perform an upgrade keeping all my apps and personal files or perform a complete refresh … standard approach. I selected the first option to keep my apps and files. After about 5 minutes it said that option was not available with the installation DVD that was mounted. That is the first time I ever experienced that event. I was then instructed to remove the DVD, restart the system and when completed, reinsert the installation DVD then select and run the SETUP.EXE file in its root directory. Which I did and everything seem to proceed as expected. After about 1.25 hours the entire process was completed and I had a working environment with all apps and personal files intact.

Checking the OS Build Info in Settings showed that v2004 Build 19041.264 was installed. In previous Feature releases, checking the Update History in Settings always show the information pertaining to the Feature version and date installed. This time, that information was not shown. <shrug>

I than proceeded to check the working condition of a few apps and all seemed to be OK. Except at one point Outlook (part of Microsoft 365) stopped responding when I tried to delete the Trash folder. I had to cancel Outlook via the Task Manager.

During the day, a message popped that there was an update for iCloud. I accepted the notice and started the update. Halfway through it appeared to stall. I waited about 20 minutes and then cancelled the install.

Those were the only two problems for the day.

Friday and Saturday

Everything seemed to be normal with the exception that Outlook again stopped responding on a single occasion and on another occasion would not load completely. Again I had to use Task Manager to close down the app.

Sunday, May 31

I booted up the system at my usual time around 6:45 a.m. and left the system alone. The ShadowProtect daily incremental backup was scheduled to run at 8:30 a.m. My scheduled backups include sending an email when the task is complete indicating the status of the backup. I was on my iPad when the backup should have been running. The incremental backup usually takes less than 1.5 minutes. By 8:45, no email showed up on my iPad announcing the status of the backup process on the PC. Thinking that the old differential issue might have happened, I went down to the computer room to check the PC and process. The system was up but I could not log into any apps. None at all. I rebooted and could run an app. I checked ShadowProtect and the scheduled backup had not run.

I then made the decision to restore the Windows 10 v1909 image. Albeit that I only experienced a few glitches with v2004, that was a few too many. Specially when it affected my backup process.

It took less than 20 minutes to verify my v1909 image backup file and restore my system drive. I was back in business smoothly and without any more interruptions.

I then set v1909 Advanced Settings to wait 60 days before trying for an update. The option allowed for up to a delay of 365 days but I did not want to wait that long. :grin: (I had noticed that the Advanced Settings in v2004 only allowed delaying up to 35 days.)

It is always possible that the problems were caused by a burn issue on the installation DVD. But I have no way of knowing if that was the cause. Just in case, I will discard the DVD.

Here endth the Epistle.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry to hear that you had problems. (I haven't experienced problems with Outlook by the way)

Best to wait for a while...
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Some recent videos might be of interest to anyone coming into 2004, especially if you are into "De-Bloating"....
One was done yesterday, and the other a few days ago. They are done by the guy who’s stuff is getting very popular. He was a avid user and supporter of Windows that gave up with Microsoft because of Windows 10 and has a very large number of views , in particular, on his “De Bloat/ Shutting up Windows 10” type videos.
Two New videos:
Review of 2004 ( Windows May 2020 Update)
Interestingly, he is not very critical and says he is quite surprised that it is a good update. I was less surprised, as I had read stuff saying that Bill Gates contribution to help with the Corona crises was to tell his people to do less damage for a while with updates.

De Bloat 2020 Update
This is new since yesterday.
He has made a “cheat sheet” to accompany the video to get at the Power Shell Windows commands easier by copying rather than typing them all out. But it is a bit mixed up and if you have not done this sort of thing before you might get confused about which method he is talking about where, so I will try to clarify a bit:

De Bloat Way 1, ( which he also has discussed a lot before in his previous “De-Bloat” videos )
Up to about minutes 6.04 in the new “Speed Up Windows in 2020” video he is talking about what we have discussed before.
To start that you should get your power shell windows up ( that is usually the blue command window thing ).
Then type these two lines

Code: Select all

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted 
 iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat')) 
Once you have done that you should have a window , which is what is being explained and talked about in the video up to about minutes 6.04

De Bloat Way 2,
This is a newer way which is suggested is better for the newer versions , including the current 2004. The start point to follow the video from about 6 minutes into it, is to first go to a release page , and get the most recent version.
This morning I downloaded one from about 2 days ago . ( I used the one for 1903/1909 , since I still seem to be on 1909)
I followed the video from minutes 6, and changed just a few options as I went along.
It took me about an hour to go through it. It seemed to hang a few times for several minutes. But I expect that is because my machine is a lot slower than an average Windows 10 machine, so I was patient and did not attempt to do anything. Eventually it seemed to wake up and continue.
In the video, it goes through in a couple of minutes

After doing it ( Way 2 ) this morning, my machine was noticeably faster. It usually is after doing any “De Bloat”ing or “Shutting up” . But I have not done it often enough yet to have enough experience to be able to make a worthwhile comparison of the performance improvements from both ways. The first way is easier and quicker to do, but I expect for most people on an average computer the second way is not too much trouble.
Important : There are already getting on for 20,000 views and 300 comments on the video from yesterday. I just went through them all. A couple of people suggest the way 2 might be something better avoided by the novice… just saying… Way1 as been around for a few years and I have not heard yet of any problems reported about it… I guess most people here are in a better position than me to make the decision whether to try out the new way 2, or wait until some others have tried it first…. .
I am just giving a heads up to some info that might be of interest to someone…

Alan

_.______
Here are the two links again, to the 2 YouTube video and also for each is a Windows Media Player, .wmv , copy that I made
2004 review ( Windows May 2020 Update)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPcxB5xJDPQ&t=435s
https://drive.google.com/file/d/154yFFE ... =drive_web

Debloat Update ( Speed Up Windows 10 in 2020 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6OT_QcHaU
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZAS2gn ... =drive_web
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

This W10 2004 update has been around now for some weeks ... I have yet to install it on our two machines.
There still seem to be some issues, though likely none should affect me :innocent:
Do our experts now consider it should be installed or continue to wait :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IMO, you can try it. I'd make an image backup of one of the systems. Install 2004. After the upgrade use that PC as much as possible to see that 2004 is OK for you. Remember, as long as you don't run something to delete windows.old you'll have 10 days where you can revert to the prior Windows 10 version. If things appear OK then repeat the process with the other machine.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 10 2004 has been out for almost 5 weeks now. I haven't experienced any problems.
As JoeP mentions, if you install it, you have 10 days in which you can test it and revert to the previous version if you don't like it.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks for your comments. I will toss a coin and decide which of our pc's should be the test one ... think my lady just won :innocent:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I'm still receiving the following message from Windows Update.
WindowsUpdate.png
I'm in no particular hurry for this update, and I would rather MS get it right than force the update and its possible problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Rebel wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:13
I'm still receiving the following message from Windows Update.
WindowsUpdate.png
I'm in no particular hurry for this update, and I would rather MS get it right than force the update and its possible problems.
One of the reasons listed for it not being ready for 'your device' seems to be problems over NVIDIA drivers - I think Microsoft's advice is not to download but to wait. I've got an old NVIDIA card (GeForce 210) with driver 342.01. Whether it will ever be updated by NVIDIA I don't know, probably not. In which case I'll either have to stick with 1909 or buy a more upmarket (ie expensive) card!!
Regards,
Keith

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I had problems with version 2004 when using the DELL supplied driver for my NVIDIA graphics. I downloaded the latest driver direct from the NVIDIA site and all was fine.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I have a Dell OptiPlex 7460 AIO and got an Intel error after the update - I'll post it as a separate thread...
Leif

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Not sure what the issue is with my Asus. It's not NVIDIA graphics - this laptop uses AMD. Wait and see I guess. :shrug: :scratch: :crossfingers:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

StuartR wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:44
I had problems with version 2004 when using the DELL supplied driver for my NVIDIA graphics. I downloaded the latest driver direct from the NVIDIA site and all was fine.
Unfortunately, the driver I have is the most up-to-date for my GeForce 210 - according to the NVIDIA site!! :sad:
Regards,
Keith

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

installation completed without any issues as far as I can determine just now. It stopped at 94% for maybe 10 mins during the installation process. I will give it a few days before updating our other pc and then take a complete image using Macrium Reflect.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.