iPhone calendar and Outlook 2016

dasadler
5StarLounger

iPhone calendar and Outlook 2016

Post by dasadler »

I just got the iPhone eight + and am learning how to use it and, hopefully, someday be able to exploit the features as well as the neighborhood children.

I use Outlook 2016 on my desktop PC for mail, contacts, and calendar, The desktop is my primary and I aspire to have everything synced to my desktop. Today, however, I have a simple question.

I just got a pop up reminder on my iPhone of an upcoming appointment that I never entered into my phone - I only entered it into desktop Outlook 2016. So... how did that appointment get to my phone?

I do currently use iCloud to manage my phone contacts but that is all. Eventually I plan to integrate Outlook contacts so that they are all merged and synced. I checked iCloud calendar and it has no entries at all.

But this appointment reminder has me stumped. I confess to be nearly totally ignorant of the iWorld as I use the iPhone and the iPad2 and just tools/toys.

If anyone knows how that appointment got to my phone pleas let me know. Also, if you happen to know of a good (easy to understand) explanation of how iPhone, Windows 10, iCloud, Outlook2016 all work together (ideally with pictures) I would appreciate a link.
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: iPhone calendar and Outlook 2016

Post by Rudi »

Hi Don,

One of two ways the appointment could get to your phone:
  1. By setting up an Outlook.com or an Exchange account on your phone. (see here)The phone would then be able to connect to your account via Outlook Web Access (owa).
  2. Assuming you have iTunes installed, when connecting your iPhone to your desktop PC, iTunes can sync with your Outlook account and update the mail, appointments and contacts. (See here and here)
Regarding tutorials and learning about these device and application connectivity, I'd suggest setting some time aside and just searching the web for these topics. You'd be surprised how quickly you can connect the dots by just reading a few informative articles on these topics.

Some quick searches on my end yield these for review:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Re: iPhone calendar and Outlook 2016

Post by dasadler »

Thanks Rudi, I do have iTunes so that is the likely path.
Don