WiFi Obtaining IP address on Android tablet

RonH
SilverLounger

WiFi Obtaining IP address on Android tablet

Post by RonH »

My set up includes 2 pc's plus android 7 smartphone/android 6 tablet. I cannot connect my smartphone or tablet to one of my routers.

I use a primary modem/router (1) connected to the incoming line to which all devices will connect. I have a secondary router (2) connected to a LAN port off my primary ... this router includes WEP security on the 'Guest' facility which I need for my ageing internet radio. I additionally have an extension router (3) wireless operated off (2) to extend the WiFi range into my garden for summer use! Everything works fine except I simply cannot connect the two android devices to secondary router (2) though either will connect with the extension router (3) which is set up with exactly the same password etc as the secondary. I have carefully checked and rechecked the router access password on my androids.

On my pc I am presently using router (2) which I generally prefer because its range is superior to that supplied by my ISP ... my supplier insists that I use their modem/router connected to the incoming line!

So, in summary, everything functions to any of the routers except androids to router (2). Checking various web suggestions have not helped, so far :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: WiFi Obtaining IP address on Android tablet

Post by StuartR »

That's odd.
Do all the routers use the same signal frequency and 802.11 variant? (e.g. 802.11ac at 5GHz)
Do all the routers offer the same SSID with the same security settings?
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Stuart.
Yep very strange.
Router (2) and ext router (3) use same security codes/settings and SSID except (3) is named ....XD for identification. Main router has its own independent settings. But since everything functions except android to router (2) I have to conclude that its something to do with android and not my router settings. Though android is connecting to everything else including the extension router!

I will have a bit more of a search on the net but I am seriously tempted to disconnect the rubbish router (1) and just use my own gear! I might also just reset all equipment and re-establish the settings to see if this cures it.

Thanks for taking time out.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ron,

You didn't mention what protocols and frequency you use
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Apologies ... trying to make sense of it all!
PC set up is WPA2 - Personal on W10, AES encryption and operating on 2.4 Ghz 802.11 b/g/n
Android's are also WPA2 PSK and must also be on 2.4Ghz 802.11.
Can't seem to find much info on the androids ... seems that they simply 'work' or 'not'. Set up on these devices is usually so easy meaning all you do is enter the password!
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The modification of protocol and frequency is usually on the WiFi router, rather than on the clients.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I will take a look at the router settings to make sure that I have not restricted access. Can't recall doing this but at my age...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I just wonder if the problematic router could be the only one that doesn't offer 2.4GHz connections, or 802.11n or something like that.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

No worries Stuart. When I get time to open the router settings etc I will see if I can solve. Will post if resolve. All 3 routers are 2.4 only.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ah sweet mysteries of life at last I found you :fanfare:
Long ago (before past memories :grin: ) I set up my router (2) with MAC Address filtering. Adding the two Android devices solves my problem. So sorry Stuart for wasting your time.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See your signature... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

So Hans, I got something right at last :smile:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

No apology needed. These things are sent to try us.
StuartR