Automatically sync Galaxy S5 using wifi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Automatically sync Galaxy S5 using wifi

Post by Peter Kinross »

Samsung, in their wisdom have removed their app (Kies Air) that apparently used to enable their Calendar app (S Planner) to sync with Outlook via wifi. How's that for progress?
Also apparently Samsung's pc program, Kies, used to make this possible over wifi, but not any more with the latest version - Kies 3. How's that for progress?
I can do it through Kies 3 by plugging my phone into my pc, but in this day and age, I should be able to do it without the cable.
There are several paid for apps, but I have my nose out of joint and am not prepared to pay for something that used to be free.
Anyone have any clues?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Automatically sync Galaxy S5 using wifi

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

This thread seems to provide a few options. One of them being MyPhoneExplorer Client, which looks promising...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I've moved this thread to our new "Mobile Devices and Applications" forum (from "Other Operating Systems").

I use gSyncIt to sync Outlook on a number of different PCs with my Google calendar/contacts. I then make the Google calendar the default on my phone and tablet. This way I have the same view on all my devices.

gSyncIt isn't free, but it works well and it's good value.
StuartR

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks guys. Boy what a frustrating sate of affairs.
Rudi, I tried MyPhoneExplorer and it works. I can sync without cables. However it is FAR from automatic; I have to start the client on my phone and start MPE on my PC, then sync; then close both programs (I really don't want anything extra permanently running on my phone nor on my PC). I may as well just put up with the USB cable.
I tried another option, namely using MS's Outlook.com. You would think that it would be a piece of cake syncing 2 MS Outlook programs. W R O N G! This is a disgusting reflection on MicroShaft - they can't even make syncing 2 of their own products easy. Or in my case, it was so terribly complex that I just plain couldn't do it. On top of that, running Outlook.com on my phone, there wasn't any way to even see the Calendar. I pressed every button on the Outlook.com screen and then some, but no Calendar anywhere! Nor was there a way to not sync emails - emails MUST be synced. Using an Australian ism; Fair Dinkum MicroShaft get your act together!
Stuart, thanks for that tip. I can't see anything on their web site that indicates that syncing will be done automatically. Cost isn't a barrier, I think I can manage the $19 fee, but if I have to go through similar rigmarole as with Outlook.com, then I surrender. Or if I have to run the app just to sync, then I would have second thoughts. You say that you sync via Google calendar. Is it possible to sync automatically without that intermediate step? Over the last few years, Google have pulled the plug on heaps of functionality of their various programs, including syncing with Outlook, and because of that, free though it may be, I really don't want to have to rely on them.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

OK, I have bitten the bullet. I have set up gSyncit, and against my better judgement, but in the complete absence of any alternative, am using Google Calendar.
Problem 1, there is an icon for all sorts of Google apps, but for the life of me I can't find an icon for Google Calendar. I got it going by searching on Google for Google Calendar and got it after about 4 false tries. But I certainly do not want to do that every time I look at the calendar.
Problem 2; Google Calendar on my Samsung S5 appears to be woeful. In Month view there is nothing to indicate that there is an appointment on any day. On my PC it is great, but not on my phone. What am I doing wrong?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Maybe you should consider an iPhone with your next upgrade :grin:

Peter, are you using the calendar from the GMAIL website or have you downloaded the Google Calendar from the store?
I assume that the calendar app from the store, being a dedicated calendar application should function better than the calendar option from the web page.

In case you don't have it, download the calendar app here.
Regards,
Rudi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Oh Rudi, don't start me.
After 4 years of iPhones, I could never get a synced Calendar going. Not through lack of trying. For this and other difficulties working within Apple's incredibly restrictive framework, I vowed and declared that I would NEVER purchase another Apple product. My wife still has one of my old iPhones and because of that I need to use iTunes. The most buggy and un-intuitive piece of software I have on my PC is iTunes.
That said, after 2 months struggling with Android, I'm becoming less sure. But then again, 2 months with success (assuming I do get it to work acceptably) vs 4 years of non-success - maybe I made the correct call. Time will tell. :smile:

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Rudi - THANKS!
I only read your last post in my email, completely missed the link to the Google Calendar. I had searched for this before in the Google Play store, but everything I downloaded wasn't the actual Google calendar. I downloaded it and it works :hairout: . You have just put the nail in Apple's coffin (or not - jury is still out, and there is always a Windows phone).
The Google Calendar isn't nearly as useable as the Samsung one, although, I think it will link to the Google maps navigation app. Hope so.
Hey, just discovered that the Samsung S Planner automatically syncs with the Google Calendar. It gets better and better, YAY!
Thanks again Rudi, again.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:thumbup:
Have a great weekend!
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Peter Kinross wrote:Stuart, thanks for that tip. I can't see anything on their web site that indicates that syncing will be done automatically. Cost isn't a barrier, I think I can manage the $19 fee, but if I have to go through similar rigmarole as with Outlook.com, then I surrender. Or if I have to run the app just to sync, then I would have second thoughts. You say that you sync via Google calendar. Is it possible to sync automatically without that intermediate step? Over the last few years, Google have pulled the plug on heaps of functionality of their various programs, including syncing with Outlook, and because of that, free though it may be, I really don't want to have to rely on them.
The purpose of gSyncIt is to sync things with Google, so you would have to go via Google Calendar. Looking at the User Interface there are some other options that are possible, but I don't think they all support calendars and contacts, probably just notes.

gSyncIt is well integrated with Outlook. I have it configured on each PC to sync whenever I change a contact or a calendar entry, and also to sync once each day at 05:00, but this is all configurable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR