Synchronizing select media to iPhone 4

jmt356
SilverLounger

Synchronizing select media to iPhone 4

Post by jmt356 »

On my BB, I can copy whatever files (music, photos, etc.) I want through Windows Explorer whenever I connect my BB to my computer using a USB cable, which treats the BB as an external hard drive. On my iPhone, however, it appears that I can only copy files over through synchronizing through iTunes. It appears however that I can only transfer over files as pre-determined by Apple--i.e., my entire Music Library or select artists or select genres. Is it possible to select specific songs (or other files) and copy them on to the iPhone, through iTunes or otherwise?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Synchronizing select media to iPhone 4

Post by Rudi »

iTunes is of course the primary app for managing content transfer between iDevice and PC. Other third party apps are available too, but I use iTunes

You can access photos and video directly from the phone via Windows Explorer when you plug the phone in with the USB cable.
1.jpg
To copy images to your phone use iTunes where you can sync standard folders...or browse for a folder.
4.jpg
To transfer any documents between device and PC, you can either email them or use cloud services or you can install a USB app from the App Store. I use USB Sharp...a great app that acts like a USB drive and you can transfer ANY files between the two devices. Simple go the the App folder in iTunes and scroll to the bottom. All the apps listed under sharing can be used to add files from the PC to your device, or Save to to transfer from the phone to your PC.
2.jpg
BTW: The media folder to sync to can be changes in the iTunes menu. Choose Edit>Preferences. In the dialog, click the advanced tab and change the primary media folder to whatever main folder stores your music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I connect my iPhone via the cable to my laptop, Windows does not recognize it. iTunes automatically launches, but the iPhone does not appear as a “drive” in Windows Explorer to which I can copy files. Do I need some kind of third-party software to enable this?

Also, while I get the option to choose which folder to synchronize with respect to Photos, I do not get this option for Music, which only gives the option between synchronizing my entire Music library or otherwise picking certain categories (e.g., artist, genre, etc.).
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I cannot say I have done anything special to view my phone as a drive in Windows Explorer.
When I plug it in using the USB, it appears after a few seconds in Explorer (whether iTunes is open or not).
1.jpg
Double clicking on it and passing through a few folders I eventually get to my photos/videos. Please note: It only allows access to photos/videos on the phone to which I can copy to the PC. I cannot copy photos from the PC to the phone in Explorer. Also, I can ONLY access photos/videos. I cannot browse the whole phone and access docs or music or anything else. This is where you need ti use iTunes (or a third party app).

In iTunes preferences, you can determine which folder is processed to provide the library with the breakup of Albums, Genres, Artists, etc...
Select a top level folder to provide you with the most options. Once the library has been determined and updated, you can choose to sync the entire library, or selected items from Albums, Genres, Artists, etc... (as you have discovered).
2.jpg
Over and above the linking to a folder to generate the library in iTunes, you can also add individual/specific files or folders to the library. If you go to the File Menu, you will notice that you can upload into the library, individual files or contents from folders you browse for. Once in the library, these items become available for you to add to your phones library or to playlists which will sync each time when iTunes and your phone are connected.
3.jpg
Just to be clear on the process again:
In iTunes, you have a MASTER library that is accessed by clicking the Music Icon (In other words, you are NOT in your phone menus now)
You can add anything to this library
Once in the library you can drag and drop to your phone
You can create playlists with any combinations of items and when in a playlist, simply sync the playlists

Hope this is clearer...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I believe I figured out what happened: When I installed iTunes, a folder was created in my Music folder called \iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. iTunes then took each of my .WMA files, converted them into .M4A files, and then placed them in \iTunes\iTunes Media\Music.

Would the following operation work to get only my select songs on my iPhone: deleting all of the content in \iTunes\iTunes Media\Music, placing in that folder only those songs that I want to have on my iPhone and then synchronizing? Would it work if I had .MP3 files in \iTunes\iTunes Media\Music or would these also have to be converted to .M4A files?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I don't think that would work as the music sync'ed to your phone must be in .M4A format.
You could experiment and copy one or two songs as MP3's into the folder and sync...and see if iTunes handles it for you, but somehow I doubt it if memory serves me.

You can clear the media folder and then using the File add to library commands, add single files or all files in folders to the library...these will be converted for you and then you can sync with your phone.
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried copying over .MP3 files over to Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. Nothing happens at synchronization.

I then added the .MP3 files via iTunes | File | Add Folder to Library. This got the files over to my iPhone when I synchronized (I think it converted the files to .M4A format). However, it did not add the files to Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. It does not thus appear that I can modify the file names, etc., unless I go through iTunes, which is more complicated than a right click | Properties in Windows Explorer.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have never had issues with using iTunes to manage my iPhone/iPad content. One gets used to its quirks and processes. I must admit that I've never been a fan of Apple, but their products and quality are good, and you learn to find a balance within it all. You could try Googling for 3rd party apps that manage iPhone content. Apparently there are some useful apps out there that sync your devices with drag and drop and have a more Explorer type interface. I cannot recall any specific names of apps, but a search shouldn't take to long.
Regards,
Rudi