All I want to do is see my existing password!

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

All I want to do is see my existing password!

Post by Peter Kinross »

Setting up a new Win 8 laptop for my daughter. I set a password, and then MS asked me to set up an MS account password to log in. Did that. I also set it up so no password is required to log onto the LT.
Awhile back in the installation of apps, I could see my main pc from the LT and copied files across, but not now. Now I am trying to access the darn thing on my network from another computer, but the password on the laptop won't be accepted. I wrote the 2 passwords down as I set them. I assume that it is the local laptop password that is required for network access, but neither work. So, although I can see the LT on the network, I cannot get onto it from there. I am assuming that I have the local pword wrong, but I am not sure how to check. As I can log onto the actual LT, can I get to see what the password is while on the actual machine?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: All I want to do is see my existing password!

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, you cannot view the login password, even when logged in. You should be able to set a new one from an administrator account.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have Googled and Googled, but I cannot find a way to change or set up a new password on my computer. That is the local machine password, NOT the MS account password.
Every web page I was directed to is about changing the MS account password. Gets pretty frustrating after awhile.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I used 'Create a password reset disk'. To do this I had to enter the local password. I tried the local the one I set up, but it wasn't accepted. So I tried the MS account password - it was accepted. Strange, it seems that setting a MS account pword overwrites the local one. So I have solved the password problem - well maybe not!
When trying to access the laptop from the network, I am asked for a password. I have tried both passwords and they are both rejected - which led me to believe that I had the wrong pword in the first place.
So I am really going around in circles here. Anyone have any idea how to get the network to recognize a correct laptop pword?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You mentioned "I also set it up so no password is required to log onto the LT". Perhaps that is the problem...
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

My other laptops are similarly set up and I can see and access them and have been able to for years. So It would seem that that isn't the problem. this one still needed a pword when awakening from sleep (since fixed) - still had the prob then.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's see if one of our local network experts has a suggestion; I'm out of my depth here...
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What is a LT?

Since Vista, the networking likes to have user accounts with passwords.
A nice trick is to have the same user name and same password on ALL machines.
This account does not need to be logged into, just fully setup on the machine.
I have one set up on all of my machines as such, it is a Admin group member and it is also my back door to the system if my normal account get clobbered.

If any of these machines is a XP machine, then there are problems in it remembering the password.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:whisper: LT = Laptop.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Sensible idea Dave.
I have been doing that on my 3 computers for years. But something doesn't gel having the user name = Peter on my daughter Jo's LT :smile:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Could this be an issue with username, rather than password? You need to have both right to successfully log in.

How are you connecting? Do you specify a username, or do you have the same username on both computers?
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Peter Kinross wrote:Sensible idea Dave.
I have been doing that on my 3 computers for years. But something doesn't gel having the user name = Peter on my daughter Jo's LT :smile:
That is why I use an name such as "Zorro" the "masked outlaw who defends the commoners and indigenous peoples of the land against tyrannical officials and other villains". Or even use "Backdoor"!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living