Unable to burn audio files using Windows Media Player

jmt356
SilverLounger

Unable to burn audio files using Windows Media Player

Post by jmt356 »

I tried to burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player by following these steps:

- Open the files you wish to burn in Windows Media Player.
- Select the Burn tab on the upper right.
- Drag the files that you wish to burn to the pane on the right-hand side.
- Click Start Burn.

However, "Start Burn" was grayed out and the message “Connect a burner and restart the player” displayed on the upper right of Windows Media Player.” Does the computer in question not support CD burning? I have been able to copy files to CDs when CDs were used as USB drives and I have also been able to burn an ISO image to a CD.

I also tried to burn the audio files to a blank CD through Windows Media Player using another computer and the operation succeeded.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Unable to burn audio files using Windows Media Player

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:...the message “Connect a burner and restart the player” displayed...
It does sound like the CD drive in this PC is only a CD player and cannot burn disks.
jmt356 wrote:I have been able to copy files to CDs when CDs were used as USB drives
You mean if a CD drive is connected to this PC via a USB port then you can write to the CD? If so then that is because the CD drive on the end of the USB cable is a read/write CD drive.
jmt356 wrote:I have also been able to burn an ISO image to a CD.
Using which CD drive? One connected via a USB port or the one fitted internally?
If the former then, as I've already said, that is because the CD drive on the end of the USB cable is a read/write CD drive. If the latter then that suggests the internal CD drive is read/write after all and so this current failure to write a CD suggests the internal CD has failed in some way.

Most CD drives have some sort of label on them (typically on the tray drawer) that indicates whether or not they can write as well as read CDs. Have a good look at the CD drive(s).

Does this help?

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

stuck wrote:
jmt356 wrote:I have been able to copy files to CDs when CDs were used as USB drives
You mean if a CD drive is connected to this PC via a USB port then you can write to the CD? If so then that is because the CD drive on the end of the USB cable is a read/write CD drive.
No; what I mean is that if I put a blank CD in this laptop and at the window pop up asking how I want to use the CD, choose “As a USB Drive,” Windows Explorer successfully writes the files to the CD. I can view the files on the CD on my computer, but I am unable to listen to them on my car’s CD player.
stuck wrote:
jmt356 wrote:I have also been able to burn an ISO image to a CD.
Using which CD drive? One connected via a USB port or the one fitted internally?
If the former then, as I've already said, that is because the CD drive on the end of the USB cable is a read/write CD drive. If the latter then that suggests the internal CD drive is read/write after all and so this current failure to write a CD suggests the internal CD has failed in some way.
I have been able to write to CDs using my internal CD / DVD player.
I do not believe the issue is with the disk; the disk is new and I was able to burn files to it using another computer. I suspect there is a Windows Media Player software error.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you tell Windows to treat the CD as a USB drive, you won't be able to use the CD in a regular CD player. The CD needs to be finalized (closed for writing) in order to be able to play it in a standard CD player.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you suspect it's a WMP error then try alternative burning software. Despite the name CDBurnerXP is fully compatible with Win 8 (and it handles DVDs as well). Read about it and get it here:
https://cdburnerxp.se/

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Restarting my computer fixed this problem.
Regards,

JMT