System Restore Point(s) not created for MS Updates

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

System Restore Point(s) not created for MS Updates

Post by BobArch2 »

Two months ago(2014.06.15) I performed a fresh install of Windows 8(8.1). When the next lot of MS monthly updates (2014.07.08) rolled around I was watching the Download / Install process and noticed the absence of the function to create an SRP before the install cycle. After the installation was complete I checked the System Settings and found that there was indeed no automatic SRP created for the MS monthly updates.

Thinking that perhaps there was an initial install problem going back to June, I turned off the creation of the SRP process, deleted all existing SRPs (only a couple) and rebooted the system. Then turned back on the SRP process for 2 of my 5 drives... the System Drive (C:) and my main data repository drive. Checking a couple of weeks later showed that an SRP was created for the "7-day-rule" of auto creation.

When the MS monthly cycle rolled around again on 2014.08.12, I checked the SRP table and found that again the auto create was not performed. In fact the automatic restore point of mid July had disappeared. What I do have are the following SRPs.
ArchSRPs.gif
As can be seen, I have 5 SRPs... 2 from software installs, 1 ARP and 2 that I created myself.

Searching the Internet has revealed that other users have experienced the same issue of MS Updates not creating an SRP. However, those articles are at least 1+ years old and did not provide a working solution.

I have my MS Update schedule set to "Advise me and let me handle the process", not the "Automatic...". It was suggested in one article that the update schedule should be set to Automatic. I do not buy that suggestion.

Another user indicated that the Volume Shadow Copy process may be interfering. I checked the settings and my VSC is set to "Manual". Someone indicated that the setting should be set to Automatic. Since I run the ShadowProtect backup application which uses VSC, I am reluctant to change the setting without conversing with the Storage Craft tech support since SP is performing nicely.

So, a long winded story to ask... "any suggestions/thoughts"?

As an added note, I have downloaded and installed software apps other than the Classis Shell and HP Update, none of which created SRPs. But I do realize that not all apps are so protective of their install process. Not even MS Office 365 with its recent update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: System Restore Point(s) not created for MS Updates

Post by HansV »

If you look at the dialog before that (the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel), has Protection been turned on, or off?
S0010.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:If you look at the dialog before that (the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel), has Protection been turned on, or off?
Set to "On' and lots of space allocated and available.
SRPProps.gif
SRPSpace.gif
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Strange - as far as I know Windows should create an automatic restore point before critical updates are installed, whether manually or automatically. Restore Point Automatic Creation appears to confirm that. Let's see if someone else has a suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I just checked and it looks like the system did take a restore point automatically when I applied this month's critical updates.
SRP.JPG
It doesn't appear to have taken one when I applied this month's one optional update separately.

I have set updates to "check, but let me download and apply them manually."

I use Shadow Protect also. My Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual start.

Could be wrong, but it seems to me that there are many fewer restore points taken in Win 8.x than there were in Win 7.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

An automatic restore point will be created once a week, before critical updates and before installing some software. I think those 'rules' were the same in Windows 7. But Windows 7 also made snapshots using the Volume Shadow Copy service, and that has been turned off in Windows 8.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:An automatic restore point will be created once a week, before critical updates and before installing some software. I think those 'rules' were the same in Windows 7. But Windows 7 also made snapshots using the Volume Shadow Copy service, and that has been turned off in Windows 8.
It would appear I am OK with 2 of those circumstances... except for the 3rd - "critical" update scenario. A scan of the my Update History shows that on 2014.08.12, 2 updates were "Recommended" and 12 were "Important". No where in the Update History log, dating back to 2014.06.12 are there any tagged "Critical". I suspect that the "Important" ones are the "Critical" updates. Leaving me still in the dark.

After posting here, I decided to post a like message on the Microsoft Support page and was led to the Microsoft Community site where I posted this message. Scroll down in the link to see a response.

If, and it is a BIG "IF" concerning the "7-day-rule", then perhaps that might be a clue. My previous creation point is less than 7 days before the MS Update. And in Paul's case, his ARP is exactly 7 days before the MS Update. [Shrug]

The MS MVP who posted the reply said he will try to find the documentation where he read something about the weekly process.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:I just checked and it looks like the system did take a restore point automatically when I applied this month's critical updates.
It doesn't appear to have taken one when I applied this month's one optional update separately.
I have set updates to "check, but let me download and apply them manually."
I use Shadow Protect also. My Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual start.
Could be wrong, but it seems to me that there are many fewer restore points taken in Win 8.x than there were in Win 7.
Hi Paul,

It would appear that our environments are alike. And I agree with your comment about fewer restore points. In fact I sense that I have lost a couple created mid July. Cannot be 100% certain why but I intend to watch them closely until this mystery is resolved.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's see if you get more replies to your thread in Microsoft Community.

As far as I can tell, Windows should always create a restore point before applying critical updates, even if the previous restore point was created less than a week ago.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Let's see if you get more replies to your thread in Microsoft Community.

As far as I can tell, Windows should always create a restore point before applying critical updates, even if the previous restore point was created less than a week ago.
I will post here when I hear back from the Microsoft Community. If I do not hear back in say, a few days, I'll prompt them.
Regards,
Bob