Blocking Games Or Apps

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Blocking Games Or Apps

Post by Bigaldoc »

Does anyone here know how to BLOCK a game or app on Facebook? The Help is no help at all and the two ways I used to use no longer work. Help says you go to the app's "fan page" to block it but that doesn't work.

Use ANGRY BIRDS as just one example!!! I've even "allowed" the game a couple of times, thinking I'd find a link to block it. But all I got for my trouble is more unwanted posts in my News Feed, in MY name.

Thanks to anyone with an answer or suggestion...

( I DO NOT play games on Facebook and the unrequested notices on my News Feed because of those who do are driving me nuts - or nuttier than I already am !!!)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Blocking Games Or Apps

Post by stuck »

Hi Al,

Can't help you myself but I've just given a pointer to this thread to someone who probably can. It might take him a while though as he travelled back to uni after his Easter break this afternoon. He's likely to be busy catching up with his friends.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Cheers to you, my friend !!!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I should also mention that I've also posted this question on my Facebook account but the majority of my friends there have little "experience" with "computer stuff."

I also posted on the Facebook Forum, but like most, it's not affiliated with Facebook (management) and I've never gotten any help there. Sad when you look down through those boards there how many posts have ZERO replies. I keep telling myself I'm gonna quit going there as it's a waste of time.

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

That person that stuck refered to is none other than yours truely, stuckling1.

I sympathise entirely with you! I despise apps and fan pages that cog up my 'news feed' with non-news - they waste nanoseconds of my exceptionally valuable time.

Fortunately you can prevent stories from apps showing up in your news feed - when you seen an offending post ("John and Jane Doe Played 6 Levels Of An Annoying Pointless Game" for example) hover your mouse over the upper-right hand corner of that post's space on the newsfeed, a little dropdown will appear.
Click it and options to "unsubscribe from game stories by John" and "Block Annoying Game" are there for your clicking pleasure :)

If you are ruthless about hiding app stories as soon as you see them, you can quickly restore order to your cluttered life.

Furthermore, if you use Greasemonkey with Firefox or Chromium, there is the fantastic script/addon Social fixer, http://socialfixer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has all sorts of useful/clever options for filtering the news feed, tidying up the layout, hidding rubbish like the sidebar and lightbox photo veiwer and much more. Of course all of these are optional and there is an extensive control panel for your clicking pleasure :)
Disclaimer: if that reads too much like an advert, I'm sorry. I'm just a satisfied customer!!

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

screenshot below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Block Angry Birds? Why!!?? :scratch: I suppose you don't play Cut the Rope either, do you! :sad:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuckling1 wrote:That person that stuck refered to is none other than yours truely, stuckling1.
Thank You very much, sir. I now have my homework for tomorrow cut out for me...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I just wanted to say that I've not gotten the chance to try Stuckling1's suggestions yet.

As luck would have it, I've not seen any game players in my News Feed for the past couple of days. Maybe it's because it's the work week, I dunno.

More later, I'm sure...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

No sooner said than done !!!

A short time ago, this entry popped into my Facebook News Feed. When I hovered over the upper right corner, you can see the choices I was offered. I wasn't sure if that choice would hide all posts from one or four people so I clicked on it to see what came next.
2012-04-24_112103.png
What came next was good! It said, individually, that I could hide all posts by those four games. So I did that. Now, when I click the pencil icon to the left of News Feed in the left pane, this is what I see.
2012-04-24_120104.png
To be honest, I don't know if I've ever seen this "routine" before, but you can bet I'll be watching in the future. It's not quite the same as the "blocking" routine that I've used about 500 times in two years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm somewhat reluctant to post this on Facebook for fear of offending friends who DO enjoy playing games, many of whom do ONLY that on Facebook. But, to followup one more time, here's what happened today. It seems that once again, without notification to its subscribers, Facebook management has changed or eliminated the former "blocking" routine for games and apps and replaced it with the following. That's OK with me, as long as it "works!"

Today I received yet another News Feed notification that a friend had achieved a high score in the ANGRY BIRDS game. When I clicked on the arrow in its upper right corner, this is the choices window that was presented to me.
2012-04-26_165836.png
I chose the selection you see in the red box at the bottom if the image. After doing so, I clicked the "pencil icon" to the left of News Feed in the left pane and this is evidently my current standing where games are concerned.
2012-04-26_170728.png