Facebook "Friend" Suggestions

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Facebook "Friend" Suggestions

Post by Bigaldoc »

For some time now, I've been grousing on Facebook that it continually keeps putting "friend suggestions" in the right pane of my screen of people I've never heard of. They keep coming, over and over and the only way I could figure to make one stop is to BLOCK that user name. It's been a constant and annoying battle for me for some time now.

Earlier today I received a suggestion from your friend and mine, Stuck, aka Ken. He pointed out to me that a Firefox addon called AdBlock Plus has an additional addon available called Element Hiding Helper and the link for it is displayed on the AdBlock Plus web page !!!

If you don't already use AdBlock Plus you might want to think about it. It's an excellent addon and treasured by me for some time now. Anyway, I've tried the Element Hiding Helper most of the day today and I am NOT getting any more of the hated friend suggestions. Facebook may be still sending them but AdBlock Plus is nicely keeping them out of my face.

I'll find my own friends Facebook, thank you very much !!!

Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Facebook "Friend" Suggestions

Post by Claude »

An excellent way of taming Facebook is via Social Fixer.

http://www.socialfixer.com/
Cheers, Claude.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Claude. Gotta read up on this one...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I came across this extension to Adblock Plus when I wanted to block an 'in your face' irritation on Google+.

It worked a treat until the geeks changed the name of the relevant element from one string of incomprehensible characters to another, at which point it reappeared again. I can't see the geeks at FB being any different so don't be surprised if the element(s) you've hidden reappear at some point.

This means this fix is not a magic bullet. You will have to managed the filters the that extension creates, deleting redundant ones and creating new ones as required.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

An example of what I'm controlling with AdBlock and its subset.

In the short time since yesterday, when you told me about this, my "filter" has had 18 hits, from Facebook trying to recommend friends I don't know or want.