salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the horseradish mash
2kg/4lb 4oz potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
110g/4oz butter
200ml/7fl oz milk
2-4 tsp creamed horseradish
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. For the ribs, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
2. Heat the oil in a large roasting tray over a medium to high heat. Add the beef ribs and fry, turning regularly, until browned on all sides.
3. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and stir until coated in the oil and pan juices.
4. Add the thyme sprigs, then pour in the chopped tomatoes, red wine and beef stock and mix well to combine. Bring the mixture to the boil, then transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 2-2½ hours, or until the sauce has thickened and the meat is falling from the bones. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Meanwhile, for the horseradish mash, boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 15-18 minutes, or until tender. Drain well then return to the pan.
6. Return the pan to the heat for a few seconds to drive off any excess moisture, then remove from the heat. Mash the potatoes until smooth using a potato masher or ricer, then beat in the butter and milk, using a wooden spoon.
7. Stir in the creamed horseradish until well combined, then season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. To serve, divide the beef ribs equally among four serving plates. Spoon over the cooked vegetables and sauce. Place a dollop of mash alongside each serving.

Served with roasted peppers and cabbage this is just awesome!
Access/Excel Dabbler
Windows XP SP3/Windows 7/O2K/O2007

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Braised Beef Ribs with Horseradish Mash

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Steve

This sounds really good to me. Unfortunately, I don't have any beef ribs in the freezer at the moment. Do you know if a beef roast would work as a replacement? I really like beef and horseradish together! :yum:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

SteveH2508
NewLounger

Post by SteveH2508 »

It would work well with Brisket (a cut for pot roasting here in UK).

The other thing to do is to get a rib roast - take the rib-eye out and have as steaks (the best cut for steak IMHO and also in the opinion of my supplier at the farmer's market). The ribs are then good to go.
Access/Excel Dabbler

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Thanks Steve
A Brisket works for me. :yep: Rib roast or rib steaks are favorites of ours so I wouldn't want to cover them up with much of anything except a tad of salt and a bit of pepper. Roast the rib roast or grill the rib steak! Yummy stuff! I don't think I could be a vegetarian :nope: I enjoy beef lots! :grin:

SteveH2508
NewLounger

Post by SteveH2508 »

Anyone who smothers a good steak in sauce and stuff needs a serious talking to (that's polite for me!) Steak sauces are designed to cover up second-rate steaks.

My farmer/supplier does rib-eye steaks at about £21 a kilo (about the same in Euros) :sad:

The ribs he does for £4.50 a kilo :grin:

He also supplies them to a restaurant who cook them for two days before they serve them. Most people like pork spare ribs - these are spare ribs on steroids!

PS don't salt steaks before you cook them - it draws out the natural juices and makes them dry and tough. A small twist of pepper and a couple of minutes over a searingly hot heat is the only way to cook a decent steak.

If people want their steaks well done - send them to Mcdonalds - they do not deserve anything better! (ducks head down expecting incoming!)
Access/Excel Dabbler

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

SteveH2508 wrote:Anyone who smothers a good steak in sauce and stuff needs a serious talking to (that's polite for me!) Steak sauces are designed to cover up second-rate steaks.

My farmer/supplier does rib-eye steaks at about £21 a kilo (about the same in Euros) :sad:

The ribs he does for £4.50 a kilo :grin:

He also supplies them to a restaurant who cook them for two days before they serve them. Most people like pork spare ribs - these are spare ribs on steroids!

PS don't salt steaks before you cook them - it draws out the natural juices and makes them dry and tough. A small twist of pepper and a couple of minutes over a searingly hot heat is the only way to cook a decent steak.

If people want their steaks well done - send them to Mcdonalds - they do not deserve anything better! (ducks head down expecting incoming!)
Hi Steve,

Price does depend on the quality of the meat! If it is excellent, than it is worth the cost. We are lucky because we are able to purchase a quarter of beef and have it cut the way we want. Granted, we don't get a large quantity of a certain cut (such as rib steak) but what we do get is reasonable in price and the meat is tender and delicious! We have a trusted producer we purchase from who raises an excellent product! :yep:

Yes, I agree about salt on the steak. I should have said, we put a little salt on the bone part of the steak or rib roast not on the meat. We like to chew on the bone after the cooking process is finished! (At home only!) :rofl: However, another thing we agree with you about, we do not like ours past the medium/medium rare level. :yum:
Now I'm hungry........... :whisper: and it isn't for anything from McDonalds......:laugh: