Cooking An Omelette

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Cooking An Omelette

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:
StuartR wrote:Best is to put the wine in a glass and drink it with the omelette :wine:
Or just forget the omelette part. :grin:
I agree. Forgo the omelette (I'm into egg-white ones myself) and drink the kool-aid!

I have my granny's antique omelette pan that does the folding for you and is considered around here the best part of the process. I also agree on the dill/spinach and havarti cheese. At Walker Brother's Pancake House my favourite is "DANISH GARDEN
Only the freshest vegetables go into this oven-baked delight filled with broccoli, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. Topped with Havarti cheese from Denmark. Please allow 20 minutes" It is sooooooo yummy.......http://www.walkerbros.net/menu/index.html

I also love their French and Cherry Kijafa crepes. The best part of eating there is the beautiful Tiffany lamps hanging over each table while you are serenaded with wonderful classical music. After stressful days at the office, unwinding there takes but a few moments while sipping their exceptional egg-shell coffee.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

You need the omlette so you don't fall asleep before noon. That way you can drink more wine. Do you think I attained this advanced age by being stupid ??? Don't answer that !!!

Jude, thanks for the link. I would never have gone into one of those places based on the way they look outside if I were a tourist in Illinois. But, having seen the menu, I'd for sure take a meal or two there. :thankyou:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote:You need the omlette so you don't fall asleep before noon. That way you can drink more wine. Do you think I attained this advanced age by being stupid ??? Don't answer that !!!

Jude, thanks for the link. I would never have gone into one of those places based on the way they look outside if I were a tourist in Illinois. But, having seen the menu, I'd for sure take a meal or two there. :thankyou:
Whenever I get back to Chicago, that is where I take my first meal. The facility on Dundee is the best!! The one up on Rand Road is beautiful with the stone exterior, but the inside is more cafeteria style and I didn't enjoy eating there even tho the menu was the same. The lingonberry crepes are also fantastic. Since I work in a Jewish law firm, I've latched onto the latkes as the applesauce/sour cream are just like granny made.

In my opinion you eat any of the breakfast items any time of day/night. Forget the sandwiches/salads etc. They can be found anywhere, so I go there to eat the specialty fare.

There is another outstanding restaurant called 94th Aerosquadron as well near the formerly known as Palatine Airport. On Saturdays brunch is served complete with all the champagne you like. Gotta keep track of how many mimosas you down because they creep up on you and all of a sudden you discover you have jelly legs. :rofl: Talk about fabulous made-to-order omelettes. http://www.the94thaerosquadron.com/Wheeling/index.html Check out the link. This place was like going back to my dad's homestead and dining in there complete with the fireplace and WWI and II memorabilia with war songs piped over the loud speaker system. It's truly a trip back in time. I've never had better pot roast anywhere--wonderful wine sauce. I'd always call my dad wearing the headphones linked to the control tower while watching planes take off/land on the runways. "I'll Be Seeing You" was one of the old familiar songs......
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm very late on this one, but like Big Al, I rarely venture here for no known or logical reason. But dispensing with the apology, I'll add my own favorite recipe for cooking omelletes. This comes from several years as working as a cook in a couple restaurants.
  1. Nearly most important is the pan... get yourself a genuine, bone fide omellete pan, i.e., one that has low and flared sides, preferably teflon coated. I've used expensive stainless steel pans but they still tend to stick. (6" for a 1 egger and 8" for 2+ egger)
  2. Coat the pan with Pam or some other non-stick spray
  3. Beat 2 or 3 eggs w/ 1 or 2 oz. of milk in a bowl until thoroughly blended
  4. Add in a 'bit' of oregano, basil, a pinch of salt and black pepper... according to your taste
  5. Add a chopped mushroom and finely chopped red pepper, again blending thoroughly
  6. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of butter and heat the pan on medium/low until the butter is melted and just starts to bubble
  7. Pour in your egg mixture
  8. When the omellete is 3/4 cooked; just a bit runny on top, sprinkle on some chopped tomato and shredded cheese
  9. Now is the time to take your spatula and gently lift one edge to look at the bottom. IF you have the right temperature, the omellete should be cooked through, the cheese melted and the bottom golden... not brown.
  10. The moment of truth!! Picking up the pan and moving it around in a circular motion the omellete should slide around freely
  11. Simply tilt the pan and let the omellete slide out onto your plate and about half-way out using the edge of the pan fold the omellete over itself, i.e., in half on the plate
  12. VOILÀ!!
DISCLAIMER: YMMV Image
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:Simply tilt the pan and let the omellete slide out onto your plate and about half-way out using the edge of the pan fold the omellete over itself, i.e., in half on the plate
Thanks for the recipe and suggestion, Jeff. No, I'm afraid I don't have a pan such as you describe. My skillet is teflon and the sides do slope somewhat and I did use Pam, which is good stuff. When I get a chance I might scout for a pan as you described.

So hmmm, your trick is to fold it AFTER (or as part of) removal from the pan, huh? Never thought of that and it sounds like what Stuart suggested earlier in the thread. I really need to give that a try.

I made another try a couple of nights ago, using only some shredded cheese. This time I let it cook just a tiny bit longer and it turned out somewhat better but the folding part was still difficult.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Bigaldoc wrote:I made another try a couple of nights ago, using only some shredded cheese. This time I let it cook just a tiny bit longer and it turned out somewhat better but the folding part was still difficult.
Yeh, there are 'dedicated' omellete pans to be had out there. Again, the sides are lower and more slanted than the average fry pan. And, be aware the most expensive pans aren't necessarily the best.

Experience is a great teacher, I have found, when it comes to cooking. Image
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

The pan is part of the formula, to be sure. But technique is equally important. A great pan and poor technique will not produce a good omlette. I can produce a good result from almost any pan.

The trick is to use peanut oil (higher smoke point) and get the pan good and hot before you add the egg mixture. A teaspoon of oil is all that's needed, spread around the pan and slightly up the sides and then, to give a bit of color and flavor, put a pat of butter in the pan and allow to melt until the foam subsides. Add the eggs and when the edges have just begun to set, use a fork (or wooden utensil if it's a non-stick pan) and begin pulling the edges into the middle of the pan, tipping the pan and rolling the liquid egg into the void created. Work your way around the pan until the process starts to tear the egg it begins to cook through. Add your ingredients to the front half of the pan (furthest from the handle and allow the egg to finish cooking (it will continue to cook after you have removed it from the pan and folded it over itself) and to warm or melt the ingredients. Loosen the edges with a spatula or the fork and when it slides freely, grasp the handle with your palm under it and your thumb pointing away from the pan and lift as you slide the finished omlette out onto the plate and fold it over on itself.

Ingredients are varied, but I like Havarti, Provolone or Mozzarella cheese, cooked spinach, roasted red peppers (I marinate mine in EVOO & sliced garlic), sliced avocado, diced shallots or onion & seeded, diced tomato can all be used together in different combinations or individually. I will also add some dried parsley or dill to the egg mixture, along with the usual salt & pepper to taste and some garlic powder to add another element to it.

Omlettes are one of the most versatile and fun things you can make quickly and easily with ingredients you always have around or are simply your favorite foods. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and palate.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.