Cooking An Omelette

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Cooking An Omelette

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm a newbie in this forum - in all these years, I've never posted anything here. But I could use some advice. Most of you know that I'm alone at home, so my eating routines are definitely not the best.

The other day, I had a severe hankering for an omlette and I thought (Huh!) that can't be hard to do - I've watched Billie do it lots of times. And, I know how to cook eggs, including scrambled - the preparation being the same. So, I embarked on this NEW effort and boy, did I strike out big time!

I was making an omlette with four eggs, broiled and finely chopped sausage and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I had all the ingredients ready, a moderately warmed skillet coated with Pam and started cooking the eggs. After they had cooked for a short time, I was carefully using my spatula to keep the edges all around free and nice and even. I added the sausage and cheese and started what I hoped would be the FOLDING process to get the eggs OVER the contents. No way!.

What I ended up with, although edible, was a mess of SCRAMBLED eggs with sausage and cheese mixed in - certainly NOT what anyone would consider an OMLETTE! Just now I Googled up this recipe (How to Cook an Omelette) wherein it seems that Step #8 was my downfall!

Anyone with any tips or training for a dumb guy so I might do a little better the next time!

(Billie would be embarrassed by my lack of skill, so I haven't told her!)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cooking An Omelette

Post by HansV »

Unless you're using a non-stick skillet, you need to work your spatula very gently under the omelette on all sides to keep it from sticking. You obviously have to wait a bit before doing this - it won't work while the egg mixture is still completely fluid.

Added: it might also help to temper the heat after the eggs have started setting.
Best wishes,
Hans

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Al, rather than attempting to roll the egg as instructed in Step 8, once the egg is almost done -- set on the bottom and still slightly creamy on top, use your spatula to loosen it from the pan. Add the ingredients to one half and fold the other half over the top. Don't worry if the fold isn't perfect, and slide the omelette out of the pan and onto your plate. Enjoy.

Until you get the technique down, I'd recommend keeping the volume of the extra ingredients to a minimum. I like to mix in some fresh herbs in with the egg when I scramble it to punch up the flavor.
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Samantha wrote:... Add the ingredients to one half and fold the other half over the top. Don't worry if the fold isn't perfect ...
My goodness, there it is! You just found my mistake, or at least probably a big portion of it. And I've been eating omelettes all my life and didn't think of the SHAPE of the thing. What I did wrong was to put my ingredients in a line down the CENTER of the pan, so I was trying to fold TWO sides, much too small, over the ingredients in the middle. Woe is me...

And I think you're also right Samantha, in that I used too much sausage and cheese. Next time I'll crush it with a fork into finer pieces and only use small amounts until I get the hang of it. Thanks loads!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Another technique that can be very effective is to wait till the omelette is nearly cooked, then pop it under the grill for about a minute to cook the "center". Then fold it in half as you gently slide it out of the pan on to the plate.
You still need to use a spatula to free the omelette from the pan, but this can help to stop it falling to pieces as you fold.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Stuart, when you say "under" the grill, are you meaning in my (USA?) oven terms - the broiler? Sounds like a good idea if I'm reading it correctly. That heat from above might make it easier to fold. Thanks.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

:yep: I had the courtesy to spell centre wrong to be polite, but I forgot that you call a grill a broiler.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I use a method I modified from Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer to remove an omelette from the pan. Basically, you loosen the edges of the omelette from the pan after adding the filling to the half opposite where the pan handle connects and then folding the omelette over itself as you lift the handle (reverse your grip on the pan handle to do this) and slide the omelette out the "front" of the pan onto a plate.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Bigaldoc wrote:Stuart, when you say "under" the grill, are you meaning in my (USA?) oven terms - the broiler? Sounds like a good idea if I'm reading it correctly. That heat from above might make it easier to fold. Thanks.
Be careful you don't leave it under the broiler for too long, or you'll end up with a fritatta instead of an omelette! (Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you'd like a larger proportion of non-egg ingredients.)
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

StuartR wrote::yep: I had the courtesy to spell centre wrong to be polite, but I forgot that you call a grill a broiler.
After more than eight years of dealing with all of you international folks, I'm at the point where I recognize the spelling differences between us and don't pay any mind to it - colour, centre, defence, etc.

In this case, I just didn't know if a "grill" to you Brits was like a "barbie" to the Aussies! :blush:

And THANKS for the tip, Stuart. I WILL try it the next time. I use the "broiler" in my oven all the time for cooking things like burgers, sausage and other things. I much prefer it to baking or using a frying pan (skillet).

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Al,

A grill has the heat coming from above, a barbie has the heat from below.

Johanna

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks. That's why I had to ask Stuart because here in the USA a grill = a barbie, i.e. heat from burning coals below. I think the "official" name for such a standing device IS barbecue grill. Anyway, now Stuart's tip is straight in my mind.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Late reply, I know, but, here's how I create an omelette:

Beat the eggs with a fork (no mechanical/electrical gizmo) and, once reasonably smooth, add some rice flour (gluten-free), freshly chopped parsley, marjoram and thyme leaves, whisk again, add freshly ground nutmeg, black pepper and a tiny bit of fresh oregano leaves, mix it all up again, let it stand (in the fridge), for 30 minutes or so...

Even if you use a non-stick pan (skillet), still put a dollop of butter in it, add a little olive oil (to stop the butter burning) and wait for that to heat. Once the butter/oil is hot enough to immediately sizzle when freshly ground pepper is added, pour the egg mix into the pan. After one minute max, add the additional ingredients (cheese, spinach leaves whatever), flip the omelette over, turn off the heat, wait another minute or so, and panic, realizing you left the wine downstairs, race down there, grab your bottle, come back upstairs, only to find that your omelette has now been burnt to smithereens :bwaah: :laugh:
Cheers, Claude.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

See, I knew that wine cellar would sometimes cause a problem - eating! :aussie:

One question: why the small amount of gluten free flour?

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bigaldoc wrote:One question: why the small amount of gluten free flour?
I'd guess it's for thickening purposes and gluten free because of Claude's dietary preferences or needs.

I'm actually surprised the ingredients list didn't include some of that wine. :laugh:
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I like to cook with wine, but I've never used it in an omelette...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Best is to put the wine in a glass and drink it with the omelette :wine:
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yeah, especially if you BURN it as Cheese did! Drink a FEW glasses of vino and you probably won't notice the scorched eggs. :evilgrin:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

HansV wrote:I like to cook with wine, but I've never used it in an omelette...
Nothing ventured....

I believe I'll give it a go the next time I make one. Perhaps a tablespoon of chardonnay in the egg mixture and some of that rice flour so that it's not too runny and I don't end up with a crepe. Then use Havarti cheese, a bit of fresh dill and some baby spinach (lightly steamed first) for the filling. Should be delightful. :yum:
You may be dyslexic.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:Best is to put the wine in a glass and drink it with the omelette :wine:
Or just forget the omelette part. :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.