Worcestershire Sauce

BobH
UraniumLounger

Worcestershire Sauce

Post by BobH »

Please help me convince, 'Er Indoors!

I say that this sauce does NOT require refrigeration after opening. I can find nothing on the label advising one to do so.

Have you ever had a problem with Worcestershire (woos'ter sheer) sauce going bad from not refrigerating it?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Worcestershire Sauce

Post by StuartR »

I've never kept it in the fridge, and it hasn't come to any harm.
StuartR

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Never in my fridge, always right next to my oven. It probably gets a little extra heat then and it still tastes good.
Who will you Inspire today?

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I've never refrigerated this and it's never suffered. Of course, it doesn't last very long around here, once opened!

Silverback

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

In my mother's time she used to only ever use Worcestershire sauce sprinkled on fried eggs. One bottle lasted many years, unrefrigerated. She used to say that you knew you'd been married a long time when you bought your second bottle of the stuff.

My wife, who speaks English as a second language, has a lot of trouble with the pronunciation of the word. She generally pronounces it "English sauce".

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

With apologies for posting my thanks after so long since all of you kindly replied.

GeoffW - English is a second language for both the wife and I. Our native tongue is Southern American. :flee:

Seriously, my wife cannot pronounce "Waldorf" or "Bergdorf" on the first try.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

How, exactly, would you know if the Worcestershire sauce had gone bad? :laugh:
Don

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Just saw this so sorry about reviving it. I just checked and you're right, nowhere on the bottle does it say to refrigerate after opening. However it does now come with a "best used by" date stamped on it. I think they do that to get you to waste your money and get newer products even though there is nothing wrong with the one you have.

I have never even considered not refrigerating it but that is just how it was always done in my households.
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

We get "Best before" dates put on bottled water and on table salt, both of which have been around for the odd few million years. :rofl:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

John Gray wrote:We get "Best before" dates put on bottled water and on table salt, both of which have been around for the odd few million years. :rofl:
We get these because the "Law makers" do not know what they are doing!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have to keep my one granddaughter from reading the labels on some of our foods or she won't even try them if the are one day past the sell by date. She thinks they are spoiled. Shame what the kids now days are being taught.
Regards,
hlewton

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

hlewton wrote:I have to keep my one granddaughter from reading the labels on some of our foods or she won't even try them if the are one day past the sell by date. She thinks they are spoiled. Shame what the kids now days are being taught.
We have two daughters that I'd like to think were taught the same. One is like your granddaughter and checks the labels for use by dates. Doesn't matter if the product is still good, she'll toss it if the use by date is past. The second daughter is fine with whatever date it says so long as the food is usable. I don't have any idea why they are so different! :scratch:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Skitterbug wrote:
hlewton wrote:I have to keep my one granddaughter from reading the labels on some of our foods or she won't even try them if the are one day past the sell by date. She thinks they are spoiled. Shame what the kids now days are being taught.
We have two daughters that I'd like to think were taught the same. One is like your granddaughter and checks the labels for use by dates. Doesn't matter if the product is still good, she'll toss it if the use by date is past. The second daughter is fine with whatever date it says so long as the food is usable. I don't have any idea why they are so different! :scratch:
I think it may have a lot to do with the teachers they have or the friends they hang around with. As you mention, I know my kids never learned it here and assume the grandchildren aren't learning it from them. But who knows.
Regards,
hlewton

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

There is a reason for the best buy dates on the bottled water. The water absorbs chemicals in the plastic of the bottle. Now, to be fair, the chemicals are ones you are going to ingest at some point anyway and if you live long enough you will get cancer so I still ignore these dates.
Who will you Inspire today?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Timelord wrote: The water absorbs chemicals in the plastic of the bottle.
Thanks I hadn't heard that one before. However, I did hear that for the same reasons one should not use those plastic bottles to freeze water and then drink it as it is unthawing.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:I think they do that to get you to waste your money and get newer products even though there is nothing wrong with the one you have.
I agree, absolutely and completely. :chocciebar:
P.S. The above chocciebar was made with 30% reconstituted wooster sauce.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:We get these because the "Law makers" do not know what they are doing!
Au contraire cher ami.
The lawyers know very well what they are doing - they are boosting the gross, and hence the net, of sales for the company which overpays them all. :grin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:We get "Best before" dates put on bottled water ...
Four years ago my friend threw out a case of bottled water because it had been left on the balcony overnight and had frozen solid.

To make it worse she had been living in Toronto ("The Frozen North") for about 65 years at that time ...