Scalloped corn

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Scalloped corn

Post by Hey Jude »

Here's one of our favourite comfort foods for cold wintry days:

Scalloped Corn
Mix the following ingredients all together and bake in a 2 quart casserole for 45 min at 375°
(until knife inserted in center comes out clean)

1 egg
I box Jiffy cornbread mix
8 oz carton sour cream--I use fat free
1 stick butter -- I use 1/2 c Smart Balance blend
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)

Note: can substitute Egg Beaters and fat free sour cream and taste is not affected :smile:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Re: Scalloped corn

Post by Doc Watson »

If I could get out to the market, I'd make that tonight. :snow: :snow:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote:If I could get out to the market, I'd make that tonight. :snow: :snow:
Haha~!~~! So you are snowed in????? Get out the ole snow shoes and/or cross-country skis and take a hike :flee: :grin:
It really is delicious :cheers:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Hey Jude wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:If I could get out to the market, I'd make that tonight. :snow: :snow:
Haha~!~~! So you are snowed in????? Get out the ole snow shoes and/or cross-country skis and take a hike :flee: :grin:
It really is delicious :cheers:
State of emergency declared by the state. Citizens with no immediate "need" to be on the roads are ordered to stay home. Many if not most stores and businesses are closed.

The snow is deep (28.5" in Philly and the second largest ever) and the temps tonight are going down into the single digits. I dug my car out when the snow stopped this afternoon, but those who did not, will have to chip their car out of the ice because it is all freezing solid tonight. The early snow was wet and the roads are all ice after the plows are done. Southwest Airlines just canceled all flights in or out of Philly until Monday afternoon.

:snow: :snow: :snow: It's a mess. :snow: :snow: :snow:
You may be dyslexic.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Doc Watson wrote::snow: :snow: :snow: It's a mess. :snow: :snow: :snow:
One of the reasons I migrated to Australia nearly 40 years ago (from Switzerland) was because I got sick and and tired of having to shovel a path to the road in the morning to be able to go to work only to find I had to shovel a path to the house in the evening again. I loved snow as a kid, did lots of skiing and ice skating, but I certainly prefer a heatwave over a snow storm. When we have heat waves, I don't have to shovel the heat away. :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Claude wrote:
Doc Watson wrote::snow: :snow: :snow: It's a mess. :snow: :snow: :snow:
One of the reasons I migrated to Australia nearly 40 years ago (from Switzerland) was because I got sick and and tired of having to shovel a path to the road in the morning to be able to go to work only to find I had to shovel a path to the house in the evening again. I loved snow as a kid, did lots of skiing and ice skating, but I certainly prefer a heatwave over a snow storm. When we have heat waves, I don't have to shovel the heat away. :smile:
Does it not snow at all in Australia ?? Or just not in the North where you are ??

I agree, loved the stuff as a child. I was overcome with joy every time it started snowing back then. Now, I simply sigh with resignation and get out the shovels and salt and wait for it to stop. :disappointed:
You may be dyslexic.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote: I agree, loved the stuff as a child. I was overcome with joy every time it started snowing back then. Now, I simply sigh with resignation and get out the shovels and salt and wait for it to stop. :disappointed:
No matter how old I become, I shall always be overcome with anxious anticipation with the arrival of the first true snow storm of the Season; however unless you plan on building that snow fort, sledding, making snow angels or having your winter picnic, then it is for children :snow: The Eastern Seaboard has been inundated with the white stuff and after being glued to TWC for 3 days, enuf is enuf!~ Watch your back Doc :smile: Salt isn't only for walkways, it does wonders for soaking aching musculature :grin: :grin:
balmy picnic spot.jpg
bridge snow walk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I recognize your profile picture from the Windows Secrets Lounge! :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I recognize your profile picture from the Windows Secrets Lounge! :smile:
Yepp I took those photographs so no copyright laws were infringed upon hehe. The park is about 4 miles from here so it's where we go walking daily--especially after the Summer crowds have vacated the area. Deer roam in herds and there are great blue herons/white egrets out there most of the year. If you are looking for serenity, this is where you find it~!~!

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hey Jude

What a fantastic setting for a walk, I hope you have a dog to enjoy it with you. Mr. Smith gets me up at any time between 4am and 5am for a 'wee walk' and when it has just snowed it is great putting down the first foot steps. We have foxes not deer, herons and bittens and a badger or 2 (not John the lounge pedant I hasten to add).
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

steveh wrote:Hey Jude

What a fantastic setting for a walk, I hope you have a dog to enjoy it with you. Mr. Smith gets me up at any time between 4am and 5am for a 'wee walk' and when it has just snowed it is great putting down the first foot steps. We have foxes not deer, herons and bittens and a badger or 2 (not John the lounge pedant I hasten to add).
There is no dog to share the walk with; but I have my soul mate :clapping: We have red foxes here and bitterns (no badgers tho they are indigenous to Wisconsin) and black/grey squirrels, titmice, cardinals, blue jays, nuthatches, juncos, brown creepers, downy woodpeckers, Northern flickers, red-tailed hawks, and just 2 weeks ago a saw whet owl perched on my front lampost for about 8 hours until s/he flew off into the darkness of night.
saw whet owl.JPG
I loved your comment re our lounge pedant :laugh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

So have ya made it yet??? huh? huh? :evilgrin: :rofl: Oh I know you have some lousy excuse about having to shovel or oh yeh, watch what was it....the SuperBowl????? Was it filled with Oriental peapods, baby ears of corn, crab rangoon, Bali maki :innocent: :bananas: Did it come with chop sticks? :boxedin:

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

I made a batch on Sunday evening. Rave reviews! :fanfare: Loved by all. :clapping:

(I used real butter) :chef:

Cellmate

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Cellmate wrote:I made a batch on Sunday evening. Rave reviews! :fanfare: Loved by all. :clapping:

(I used real butter) :chef:

Cellmate
WOOHOOOO~!~! I'm so glad!~~!~! Thanks for sharing~! I wondered if anyone would actually try it. I know I grew up with scalloped corn being made with tons of saltines and it was soooo dry and needed alot of glasses of milk to wash it down. This is a smooth concoction which really melds the flavours in your mouth and is easy on the palate :grin: Even my MIL "liked" it and she is one who isn't easy to please--whether MIL or not :evilgrin:

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

ooh, yeah, they will be on the regular menu, now!!

Any idea on how they came to be called "scalloped?" I consulted some dictionaries and found (closest) "cut in thin slices and cooked in
sauce, usually with cheese-scalloped potatoes"

I can't quite get there with corn. :laugh:

Cellmate

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Cellmate wrote:ooh, yeah, they will be on the regular menu, now!!

Any idea on how they came to be called "scalloped?" I consulted some dictionaries and found (closest) "cut in thin slices and cooked in
sauce, usually with cheese-scalloped potatoes"

I can't quite get there with corn. :laugh:

Cellmate
"scalloped" is a derivation of escalloped:
  1. v.tr.
  2. To edge (cloth, for example) with a series of curved projections.
  3. To bake in a casserole with milk or a sauce and often with bread crumbs: scalloped potatoes. :chef:
  4. To cut (meat) into thin boneless slices.
Samantha

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

"scalloped" is a derivation of escalloped:
  1. v.tr.
  2. To edge (cloth, for example) with a series of curved projections.
  3. To bake in a casserole with milk or a sauce and often with bread crumbs: scalloped potatoes. :chef:
  4. To cut (meat) into thin boneless slices.
[/quote]

Hi, Samantha,

Yep, I saw all those defs., but Cornbread??? Perhaps I'm just slow today, I don't get it. :scratch:

Cellmate

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

I guess I'm going to have to go back and re-read Jude's recipe more carefully. I pictured something much creamier than cornbread as the final product.
Samantha

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

Heck, don't just read it, make it! It really is good! :cheers:

Cellmate

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:Heck, don't just read it, make it! It really is good!
yeah, but they said that about The Hindenberg.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle