Cajun Chile recipe

BigMac
NewLounger

Cajun Chile recipe

Post by BigMac »

My first post here. I got the link from Al (Bigaldoc) Hoffman's profile page at WS Lounge. I'm also a member at Scot Finnie's forum. I'm a computer hardware hobbyist - built my first in 1997 - , no work backround in PC's other than using them at work.

Being the only "deep-south U.S. - 40 miles North of New Orleans, LA - person" that I've seen on the forum, I'll give ya'll a cajun recipe that will warm you up with this cold winter we've had this year (in the Northern hemisphere anyway):

½ lb beef fat (from the rib is best) chopped into ½“ cubes -- a ½ lb of bacon will also work well
3lb to 4lb boneless shoulder roast (best) or boneless chuck roast trimmed of excess fat and gristle and run (ground) only once through a chile plate by the butcher at the meat market.
**If they don’t have a chile plate, bring the roast home and cube the meat into 2 by 2 inch pieces, put into a food processor and pulse 10 times - 2 to 3 seconds each pulse. There should be a mix of pencil eraser size and smaller pieces of meat after chopping in the processor – a few bigger pieces won’t hurt.
2 large onions, chopped
1 medium bell pepper chopped finely
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz can tomato paste
4 tablespoons chile powder (Ancho chile powder is best if you can find it)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
4 cups beef stock (fresh or canned)
Optional - 1 or more Jalapeño peppers chopped finely (if you like your chile hot)
Optional - 1 ½ cups fresh cooked red beans (if you want beans in the chile)
Tony Chachere’s seasoning or salt and pepper to taste (add a little -1/8th tsp or so (more if you like it hot) - cayenne pepper if you can't find Tony Chachere's)

Directions

Heat fat (or bacon) in a cast iron deep fry pan or 3qt cast iron Dutch oven (best) over medium heat until the fat is rendered. Remove browned bits (if you used bacon, it can be added back after the meat is browned). Add seasoned ground beef, onions, garlic, bell pepper and Jalapeño pepper. Fry meat until brown and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add tomato paste, beef stock, cumin, chile powder, oregano and bring to a boil, then simmer slowly, covered, about 2 hours. Skim excess fat if you wish.

If you plan to use the beans, add to the Dutch oven 15 minutes before serving. (Note - down here in Louisiana, we don't add beans to our chile, and I don't think they do in Texas either)

Serves 8

As we say down here in S. Louisiana - Bon Apetit
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cajun Chile recipe

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge! I hope you'll enjoy it here, and thanks for the recipe!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BigMac wrote:
½ lb beef fat (from the rib is best) chopped into ½“ cubes -- a ½ lb of bacon will also work well
This sounds good enough to eat so I need to ask since it appears throughout this recipe what is this Â?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

During the conversion to a new server, something went wrong with the encoding of unicode characters.
½ is simply 1/2, and the ½“ cubes mean 1/2" cubes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BigMac wrote:As we say down here in S. Louisiana - Bon Apetit
I'm way, way more south than you and I also say Bon Apetit :grin:
Seems we have a lot in common. Thanks for the recipe. I might make it without the chile as I'm not so hot on hot food.

Oh BTW: As Hans says, welcome back to the lounge....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:During the conversion to a new server, something went wrong with the encoding of unicode characters.
½ is simply 1/2, and the ½“ cubes mean 1/2" cubes.
Thank you. I though that may be the case but want to ask just to be sure.
Regards,
hlewton