Pumpkin soup recipe

DenGar
3StarLounger

Pumpkin soup recipe

Post by DenGar »

Looking for a good, tested recipe for pumpkin soup. A recipe search shows hundreds and hundreds of results, which I'd rather not spend hours in exploring.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Pumpkin soup recipe

Post by Claude »

I regularly make pumpkin soup in winter time, my wife always says it's the best one she's ever had. They key is simplicity:

Peel the pumpkin and cut into small blocks.

Add a tiny amount of water to a saucepan, just covering the floor of it so the pumpkin isn't touching the medal.

Put on lowest heat possible, add some parsley and basil, cover and leave for 3 hours or until all pumpkin peaces are soft.

Now mash up the pumpkin with say a bamix or similar gadget, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with croutons and a dollop of sour cream with some finely chopped fresh chives on top.
Cheers, Claude.

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

Claude wrote:I regularly make pumpkin soup in winter time, my wife always says it's the best one she's ever had. They key is simplicity:

Peel the pumpkin and cut into small blocks.

Add a tiny amount of water to a saucepan, just covering the floor of it so the pumpkin isn't touching the medal.

Put on lowest heat possible, add some parsley and basil, cover and leave for 3 hours or until all pumpkin peaces are soft.

Now mash up the pumpkin with say a bamix or similar gadget, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with croutons and a dollop of sour cream with some finely chopped fresh chives on top.
Many thanks. I'll be trying the recipe soon.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

DenGar wrote:Looking for a good, tested recipe for pumpkin soup. A recipe search shows hundreds and hundreds of results, which I'd rather not spend hours in exploring.
I have a wonderful butternut squash soup that I have found tastes as good as, if not better, than pumpkin. It's a simple process. Depending on how much soup you wish to make:

1. You take either 2 very large butternut squash or 4 medium sized ones; wash thoroughly, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with an ice cream scoop (works greatly)

2. Take 2 nice-sized onions, 1 large carrot, and 1 large apple cut up into chunks and stuff them into the hollowed out sections. Add a pat of butter on top of the onion/carrot/apple mixture with a dash of paprika.

3.You may either cook via conventional oven by adding 1/2" of water in an aluminum foil covered baking pan and baking at 350° for about an 45 min until tender OR by microwave oven covering with Saran wrap (plastic wrap safe for microwaves) until tender when poked with a knife.

4.After allowing the squash to cool for a little bit, you scoop it all into a bowl and process in a blender. Add 1 can of chicken broth and check texture. Add half and half to desired thickness and add 1 heaping tsp of curry powder.

5. Garnish bowls of soup with a bit of parsley, and a dash of pepper. Enjoy. My sister-in-law has small bowls of shredded coconut, sesame seeds, sour cream and croutons to enhance the appeal. This soup is a staple in our household throughout the Winter season. It truly is simple to make and tastes wonderful! I remember visiting Great Barrington in Massachusetts where I happened to find "butternut squash soup" on the menu. After getting a taste sampling I discovered that it was as close as I had ever come to eating my SIL's recipe.

Note: This can be made with pumpkin and the taste will be very similar. One year I remember making it out of Libby's canned puréed pumpkin and cooking the apple/carrot and onions as it simmered in a crock pot.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

Hey Jude wrote:
DenGar wrote:Looking for a good, tested recipe for pumpkin soup. A recipe search shows hundreds and hundreds of results, which I'd rather not spend hours in exploring.
I have a wonderful butternut squash soup that I have found tastes as good as, if not better, than pumpkin. It's a simple process.
Besides being a simple recipe, it sounds great. I will try it for Thanksgiving. Thanks.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

We have it for Thanksgiving as an appetizer with hors doeuvres an hour or so prior to sitting down to our traditional feast. Hope you enjoy!~!~
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

StewartMiller
NewLounger

Post by StewartMiller »

Hey Jude wrote:
I have a wonderful butternut squash soup that I have found tastes as good as, if not better, than pumpkin. It's a simple process. Depending on how much soup you wish to make:

1. You take either 2 very large butternut squash or 4 medium sized ones; wash thoroughly, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with an ice cream scoop (works greatly)

2. Take 2 nice-sized onions, 1 large carrot, and 1 large apple cut up into chunks and stuff them into the hollowed out sections. Add a pat of butter on top of the onion/carrot/apple mixture with a dash of paprika.

3.You may either cook via conventional oven by adding 1/2" of water in an aluminum foil covered baking pan and baking at 350° for about an 45 min until tender OR by microwave oven covering with Saran wrap (plastic wrap safe for microwaves) until tender when poked with a knife.

4.After allowing the squash to cool for a little bit, you scoop it all into a bowl and process in a blender. Add 1 can of chicken broth and check texture. Add half and half to desired thickness and add 1 heaping tsp of curry powder.

5. Garnish bowls of soup with a bit of parsley, and a dash of pepper. Enjoy. My sister-in-law has small bowls of shredded coconut, sesame seeds, sour cream and croutons to enhance the appeal. This soup is a staple in our household throughout the Winter season. It truly is simple to make and tastes wonderful! I remember visiting Great Barrington in Massachusetts where I happened to find "butternut squash soup" on the menu. After getting a taste sampling I discovered that it was as close as I had ever come to eating my SIL's recipe.

Note: This can be made with pumpkin and the taste will be very similar. One year I remember making it out of Libby's canned puréed pumpkin and cooking the apple/carrot and onions as it simmered in a crock pot.
Can you substitute pumpkin for the butternut squash? I'd like to use pumpkin for Halloween...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey Jude hasn't been online for a while.

Pumpkin should work too - it is used interchangeably with butternut squash in many recipes.
Best wishes,
Hans