“Panna cotta recipe for a gelatin brain”

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

For those of you who have a taste for different things here’s one to make your mouth water…..
Brain.JPG
Now, if you've never tried Italian panna cotta, you're missing out. Sort of like an ultra-creamy Italian version flan, it's a heck of a lot better than any gelatin brain recipe you've tried in the past, I promise. This recipe is based on one by Alton Brown (but with some changes to make it easier), and is good for a 6-cup capacity gelatin brain mold.
The whiskey is optional, but there's not much of it so I wouldn't suggest leaving it out-- it tastes wonderful in this. But if you really want to make this food kid-friendly, it's also good whiskey-free.
If you really want to up the "ew" factor, surround your brain with severed body parts on cabbage-leaf-line platters. Again this is optional.

Ingredients:
3 (12 oz.) cans evaporated milk, divided
4 (1/4 oz.) pkgs. unflavored powdered gelatin
1 1/2 C. whipping cream
1 C. sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
2 oz. whiskey (optional)
Black paste food coloring, as needed
For Cranberry "Gore" Glaze:
8 oz. cranberry juice
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Instructions: 1. In a medium heat-safe mixing bowl, stir together 4 envelopes of gelatin and one can of evaporated milk. (This mixture needs to sit at least five minutes.)
2. Pour remaining evaporated milk and whipping cream into a heavy sauce pan. Slowly bring to a boil.
3. Add sugar, salt, and whiskey to boiling milk mixture. Stir til dissolved.
4. Remove from heat and pour boiling milk mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into the gelatin-evaporated milk mixture.
5. Stir in vanilla extract. Add a touch of black paste food coloring for a realistic "grey matter" color.
6. Following the manufacturer's directions for your gelatin brain mold, pour mixture into your brain mold and refrigerate overnight.
7. Top with cranberry "gore" glaze just before serving.
Instructions for Cranberry Glaze: 1. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine cranberry juice and cornstarch.
2. Bring gently to a boil. Boil, stirring, until thickened.
3. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Stir with a wire Wisk.
4. Spoon over set, unmolded brain.
5. Mixture will get slightly lumpy and strange-looking upon cooling-- this is just what you want and makes the final product look that much more gory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: “Panna cotta recipe for a gelatin brain”

Post by HansV »

Oops, when I saw the subject, I thought it was a recipe to be made by people with a gelatin brain (like me... :innocent:)
But then, I'd never seen or heard about a gelatin brain mold. I assume it's meant for Halloween?
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Re: “Panna cotta recipe for a gelatin brain”

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Can be used for a Halloween party or just a late evening snack
Jack Daniels is optional.
Beware of possible side effects that may occur
Like dancing on tabletops
Singing an old favorite song out of key
And the return of newly digested jello brains (this might look a little sick)