Green potatoes

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Green potatoes

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I know that the Oxalic acid is toxic and all that.
Still I was surprised when I peeled a potato last week:-
Home_IMG_20181215_112431200_HDR.JPG
Home_IMG_20181215_112439858.JPG
I bought half a dozen baking potatoes, as is my habit, from NoFrills supermarket, as is my habit, and stored them in a paper sack (an old 2,5Kg flour bag) as is my habit, with the folded mouth turned towards the wall.

Been doing that for six years, give or take.

Now this batch of potatoes must have been left exposed to the sunlight before I brought them home last week.
Is that correct?
I can imagine that they were left out in the field, or left on the warehouse floor during a World Cup broadcast, or left in a NoFrills hangar ditto, or whatever.
But I think that they should not have gotten so deeply "greened" on my trip home in my shoulder bag, and they go straight into the paper bag when I get home.

Has anyone else experienced this "greenness" all of a sudden? NoFrills fruit and veg is pretty good quality. It is cheaper i think because it is au point whereas the pricey stores can sell fruit and veg for a week or more.

Anyway, I shall eat this first potato and see what happens.
If I don't report back in a day or two
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Green potatoes

Post by HansV »

Why don't you offer the potato to a neighbor and see if he or she is still alive in a day or two? :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Why don't you offer the potato to a neighbor and see if he or she is still alive in a day or two? :evilgrin:
It's a whole sack of potatoes - six of them at least, and if I give one to #401, then #403 will want one, #205 will hear about it and ...

I can't support the entire building!

Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

In my book, a "Sack of Potatoes" is a 100 pound bag, and you would have plenty to share with whole building.

I spent many a day bent over picking potatoes in Colorado back in the 50's and 60's. School was closed for two weeks and one could earn several 100 of dollars.
School was let out so the migrate workers could bring their children and the school staff and students could also earn a few dollars.

The real issue was if school was in session, then the children, even of the farmers, could not work because of the Federal Labor laws.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:Why don't you offer the potato to a neighbor and see if he or she is still alive in a day or two? :evilgrin:
It's a whole sack of potatoes - six of them at least, and if I give one to #401, then #403 will want one, #205 will hear about it and ...

But you won't have to, for very long.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:It's a whole sack of potatoes - six of them at least, and if I give one to #401, then #403 will want one, #205 will hear about it and ...
Even better! You can do a statistical analysis of your results and determine whether the ensuing death rate is significantly different from the expected mortality rate of the community at large. Please report back with an Excel workbook. Be sure to show your working.

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:In my book, a "Sack of Potatoes" is a 100 pound bag, and you would have plenty to share with whole building.
Well, yes. A Burlap sack, I think that is called.
I meant "sack" as within a supermarket where they "sack" your groceries in a paper bag, but call it a "sack". (shakes head and mutters "North Americans!", but in the season of Good Cheer omits the "tsk-tsk")

I use a 2.5K paper bag that used to hold wholewheat flour.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:

But you won't have to, for very long.
Right.
But why am I spending my hard-earned money in feeding my neighbours?
(mutters "Humbug!")

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote: Please report back with an Excel workbook. Be sure to show your working.
OK Alan. Will do.

But do I have to include deaths caused by the local police engaing in target practice, or would that be too political for this board?

Cheers and Thanks
Chris