Red River Cereal

HansV
Administrator

Re: Red River Cereal

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Fancy "The Workers" complaining because they were being fed too much salmon!
In the beginning of the 20th century, middle and upper class families in The Netherlands often had a maid who worked for board and lodging. Salmon was plentiful in the Dutch rivers in those days, so some maids demanded that they shouldn't have to eat salmon more than twice a week...
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Now besides a Pirates smilie we need a Pyrex smilie ....
Or, being a cooking forum, a pie rates smile?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:...some maids demanded that they shouldn't have to eat salmon more than twice a week...
This was also common in London, where the salmon came from the Thames, but I think that may have been a little earlier
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Salmon was plentiful in the Dutch rivers ...
Interesting too. I had to think twice about this. I think of "Dutch Rivers" as being, of necessity, somewhat slow, broad and sluggish, but then I daresay the Salmon in the Dutch rivers was on its way to becoming Salmon in the French and German rivers ....
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I think of "Dutch Rivers" as being, of necessity, somewhat slow, broad and sluggish
Interesting, one of the most famous poems in the Dutch language conjures up a similar image. It starts like this in translation:

Thinking of Holland
I see wide-flowing rivers
slowly traversing
infinite plains

The river Rhine flows from Switzerland through Germany to The Netherlands, and the river Meuse from France through Belgium to The Netherlands.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:The river Rhine flows from Switzerland through Germany to The Netherlands, and the river Meuse from France through Belgium to The Netherlands.
... as any student of "The origins of the Third Balkan war" knows.
P.S. I'm having problems trying to decide whether this thread has been hijacked. How did we get from the Red to the Rhine, he meused.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

StuartR wrote:However long you microwave the bowl for, it never becomes edible.
Does that mean you have tried to microwave a bowl to see if it was edible? :confused:

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Catz wrote:Does that mean you have tried to microwave a bowl to see if it was edible? :confused:
One would have to ask our bowl expert, Bowlie

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

jonwallace wrote: as per this page.
The referenced page contains this little tidbit; "... the spurtle can be used for stirring paint or even mixing wallpaper paste."

My sister would avow that wallpaper paste and oatmeal porridge are synonymous. :grin:
Regards
Don

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Don Wells wrote:My sister would avow that wallpaper paste and oatmeal porridge are synonymous. :grin:
Not the way I make it! :yum: (although I did notice a few lumps behind the wallpaper the other day ... )
Samantha

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Don Wells wrote:
jonwallace wrote: as per this page.
The referenced page contains this little tidbit; "... the spurtle can be used for stirring paint or even mixing wallpaper paste."

My sister would avow that wallpaper paste and oatmeal porridge are synonymous. :grin:
I would associate Red River Cereal with Psyllium, which when added to a glass of H20 becomes an unpotent potable but which I drink anyways because of the certainly positive health benefits naturally followed by a straight no chaser......
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Hey Jude wrote:[ I would associate Red River Cereal with Psyllium, which when added to a glass of H20 becomes an unpotent potable but which I drink anyways because of the certainly positive health benefits naturally followed by a straight no chaser......
The trick with psyllium is to chug it immediately upon its introduction into water. A delay of even microseconds causes it to turn into a gooey sludge. My favored technique is to have two full glasses of water at the ready -- I drop a spoonful of psyllium into the first, stir quickly and immediately down the entire glass without pausing, followed by the second, unsullied glass of water, to keep it from gelling in my esophagus on the way down.
Samantha

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

Not the way I make it! :yum: (although I did notice a few lumps behind the wallpaper the other day ... )
Since noticing those few lumps, have you checked to see if any neighborhood pets or kids are missing. :grin:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Samantha wrote:
The trick with psyllium is to chug it immediately upon its introduction into water. A delay of even microseconds causes it to turn into a gooey sludge. My favored technique is to have two full glasses of water at the ready -- I drop a spoonful of psyllium into the first, stir quickly and immediately down the entire glass without pausing, followed by the second, unsullied glass of water, to keep it from gelling in my esophagus on the way down.
Oh I have the tricks down pat~!~! In the world of psyllium there can be no tolerance for lag of any kind; intended or otherwise. It's worse when you decide to add a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin to the mix and talk about gelling on the way down....at that point ONLY HOT water will do....

Gives a whole new meanin' to "gellin'" :coffeetime:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Catz wrote:
Since noticing those few lumps, have you checked to see if any neighborhood pets or kids are missing. :grin:
So that's where Tequila Sunrise went.......

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Hey Jude wrote: So that's where Tequila Sunrise went.......
Sorry, you won't find any tequila at my house
(I'm allergic and even one shot has disastrous results :barf: ) ... and if it's the gin you're looking for, you certainly won't find it behind the wallpaper :evilgrin:
Samantha

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

"Teke" aka Tequila Sunrise is our Siamese cat....miaowwwwwwwwwww named after
Tequila Sunrise

WebGenii
StarLounger

Post by WebGenii »

I use Red River cereal when making bread.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Now that's a splendiferous idea. I used to add all sorts of whole grains in my bread baking days. Nice seeing you Webgenii