Viking Bakery’s Oat Biscuits (Hafrakex)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Viking Bakery’s Oat Biscuits (Hafrakex)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

From Friday’s Toronto Star, or it may have been Thursday’s, I caught this dead-easy Oat Biscuit recipe. The N.Amer. amongst are going to argue that “It’s a Sweet Graham Cracker” or something like that.
I can’t argue back; my mouth is full of biscuit crumbs

In a large bowl (I used my small bread maker tub) mix:-
• 1¼ cups (310 ml) Quick oats (I used regular ones)
• 5 tbsp (75 ml) granulated sugar
• 1 cup (250 ml) soft tub-margarine
Beat on low speed for two minutes (my bread maker has only one speed so I put it on the floor for this stage).
Scrape down the sides, add:-
• 1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour (I used cake & pastry flour)
• 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
Beat 1 minute; scrape down sides. While mixer is running add:-
• ¾ cup cold water

(I actually followed the recipe for quantities very carefully, but by this stage I thought I had more of a batter than a dough, so I gingerly added another cup of flour)

On a floured surface knead into a ball, let rest 10 minutes; divide into 2 balls.
(I kept 1/3 and popped 2/3 in a tub in the fridge for another time)
Using floured rolling pin, roll into a sheet about 1/8- inch thick, prick with a fork, slice into squares.
DSCN0770.JPG
Bake at 375F (190c) about 20 minutes (I looked at 20 and left them in for another 10 minutes)
Cool and divide (I did that, and then re-united them one by one while I watched a Charlie Chaplin movies)
DSCN0771.JPG
What I’d do differently next time:
1. Make the sheet look less like a map of Africa and more like Australia.
2. Judicious use of the fork tines to make a set of dominoes (maybe put coloured sprinkles in the dimples) (or those silver ball thingies for a really classy look!)
3. Brush OFF the flour coating and brush ON something that would turn the surface a darker shade; maybe a beaten egg with some sugar whisked in.
4. While they were cooling, whip up some of the creamed butter (butter + sugar) my mother used to make and fabricate a sandwich cookie.
5. Add powdered ginger, gingerly, for flavouring.
6. Use only 1 tsp Baking Powder
:munch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Viking Bakery’s Oat Biscuits (Hafrakex)

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I can’t argue back; my mouth is full of biscuit crumbs...
Make the sheet look less like a map of Africa and more like Australia...
I hope you bakes the dough before you started munching!!!
That layout looks more Australian than African. I cannot find Cape Town ANYWHERE on that image; but I could pick out Perth and Sydney pretty easily!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:That layout looks more Australian than African. I cannot find Cape Town ANYWHERE on that image; but I could pick out Perth and Sydney pretty easily!
Well, given that it's a Continental Bakery, we might anticipate a bit of Continental Drift.
I'm surprised you can still recognize Australia; we seceded from you guys what - 225 million years ago? :flee:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have a long memory...similar to elephants (if you can recall what they look like - somewhat like a brown bear with a very long nose and no fur. It is grey and eats Marula's instead of salmon.)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:I have a long memory...similar to elephants (if you can recall what they look like - somewhat like a brown bear with a very long nose and no fur. It is grey and eats Marula's instead of salmon.)
I can remember, a long, long time ago, asking my elder sister "What's that, Lispeth?" and she replied "Kithner, ithyit! Ith a ithabarnofer".
(she had a lisp that was almost as bad as my sense of humour)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I can see that Chris forked over that dough, but mine must have gotten lost in the mail.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:(I actually followed the recipe for quantities very carefully, but by this stage I thought I had more of a batter than a dough, so I gingerly added another cup of flour)
I rarely read the cooking forum, and the odd measurements are the main reason, cubic feet, lb(s) and all that, but since it’s about "hafrakex" I’m hooked (well, hafrakex if you are from Iceland that is), :grin: and I couldn't miss this (in the article):
1/3 cup (75 mL) cold water
Correction — March 13, 2015: This article was edited from a previous version that had an incorrect water measurement.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Beat on low speed for two minutes (my bread maker has only one speed so I put it on the floor for this stage).
Why? Does the higher gravity make it go slower? :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Why? Does the higher gravity make it go slower? :innocent:
No, Hans.
That's Icelandic gravy you're thinking of.
Icelandic gravy is colder and flows slower.
(Try saying that out loud!)