Vermicomposting

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Vermicomposting

Post by BobH »

I have started the Square Foot Gardening growing discipline proposed by Mel Bartholomew. He recommends a soil-less mix of 1/3rd sphagnum peat moss, 1/3rd coarse vermiculite, and 1/3rd compost made from 5 different composted materials. I've used composted cow and sheep manure among my five.

The veg tastes great. Of course I'm very careful to wash it thoroughly; and, I peel my carrots, Chris.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

"cow and sheep manure "

Do you mean that you do NOT use bull or steer poop (manure), just cow poop? :evilgrin: :flee:

I have to laugh every time I see an ad or bag saying "100% Steer Manure". I can see someone out in the barn trying to sort out the steer poop from the cow and bull poop. :scratch: :hairout:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:"cow and sheep manure "

Do you mean that you do NOT use bull or steer poop (manure), just cow poop? :evilgrin: :flee:

I have to laugh every time I see an ad or bag saying "100% Steer Manure". I can see someone out in the barn trying to sort out the steer poop from the cow and bull poop. :scratch: :hairout:

Here in Texas there are hundreds - if not thousands - of acres of feed lots containing only steers. There are also very large dairy herds where breeding is all done by artificial insemination; so it is no too unlikely that one could acquire only cow or steer manure.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Not all cows are kept for breeding, some are sent to the feed lots. So there are not just steers in them feed lots. I worked a few years in some of them feed lots in Colorado, but of course there in Texas things may be done differently.

Most beef ranches have a few " bulls" around to clean up when the vet did not do the best job.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:Not all cows are kept for breeding,... when the vet did not do the best job.
I suspect a dichotomy here :laugh:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle