Cooked ham and cheese sandwich for the connoisseure

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Cooked ham and cheese sandwich for the connoisseure

Post by geecee »

I can't remember how long ago - perhaps three years - one of the Gabriel Gaté segments of Le Tour de France, the dish was Croque Monsieur (A cooked ham and cheese sandwich). There was no way I could write down the indredients etc. fast enough, so next day I searched through my wife's recipe collection and found three variations. Here's the one which I thought resembled most the one by Gabriel Gaté. It's from a newspaper article "Sandwich Delights".

Croque Monsieur

The French name Croque Monsieur translates to "Crisp Mister" and is basically a cooked cheese and ham sandwich, traditionally made with gruyere cheese and thinly sliced ham.

The name is sometimes shortened to Croque. Below is a recipe for a full blown version of a Croque Monsieur which is fabulous for lunch served with French fries and a dressed salad.

A more simple version would be to make a cheese and ham sandwich in the usual way, then fry in butter until crisp and golden on both sides. Alternatively, spread the outside on your sandwich with plenty of butter and cook under a very hot grill until well browned on both sides.
croque_monsieur_rs.jpg
Croque Monsieur Recipe HT MC French 20mins

Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 slices Sandwich Bread
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
8 thin slices of Ham
176g/6oz Gruyere cheese, grated
2 tbsp Butter, softened
20ml/4fl.oz. COLD Béchamel or Thick White Sauce

Instructions:
1. Preheat the grill to hot. Spread 4 slices of bread with the mustard then top each with a slice of ham.
2. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cheese and divide the remaining cheese between the ham topped slices of bread, sprinkling it evenly over the ham.
3. Place the 4 remaining slices of ham on the cheese and top with the remaining 4 slices of bread to make a sandwich.
4. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet, butter the top slices with the butter then grill for 4- 5 minutes until well browned and crisp.
5. Turn them over, and grill for a further 3-4 minutes until well toasted.
6. Remove from the grill, turn them over again then spread the top of each with the cold béchamel sauce, sprinkle with the reserved cheese, place back under the very hot grill and cook until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately.

Béchamel (white) Sauce Veg HT ACC 15mins plus infusion

Makes approx 360ml/12fl.oz.

Ingredients:
300ml/10 fl.oz Milk
1 Shallot, skinned and sliced
A small piece of carrot cut up
½ a stick of Celery, chopped
½ Bay leaf
3 Peppercorns
25g/1oz Butter
25g/1oz Flour
Salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Put the milk, vegetables and flavourings into a pan and bring slowly to the boil. Remove from heat, cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain.
2. Melt the butter in a pan but do not allow it to brown then add the flour and stir until smooth. Cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes stirring all the time.
3. Remove from heat and add the milk, little by little, stirring after each addition to prevent any lumps forming.
4. Once all the milk has been added, bring the sauce to the boil, stirring continuously and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Season to taste.

:chef: and Enjoy :munch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note: