Green Rockmelon or Cantaloupe

johbot
2StarLounger

Green Rockmelon or Cantaloupe

Post by johbot »

Part of me was disappointed this year when the cucumber seedlings I bought turned out to be rockmelons. I was so looking forward to the cucumbers!

The rockmelons have now ripened and have been harvested. They were worth the wait. When I pulled the vines out yesterday there were four small melons that would never get to ripen. But (like other loungers who frequent the cooking forum) I never like to through things away (although my chooks wouldn't mind).

In Asian cuisines, there is call for green mangoes and green papayas. We can use green tomatoes. So my question is can I use green rockmelon without getting the 'pain in my pinny' that my mother-in-law warns me I'll get if I eat unripe fruit?

I cut open one of the small ones and had a taste. I tasted like a cross between unripe melon and cucumber - funnily enough.

Anyone with any experience or ideas?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Green Rockmelon or Cantaloupe

Post by HansV »

Unless you eat very large quantities, I think there's little chance of stomach ache.

You could use them more or less like green mangoes, but their taste is more neutral.

You could put chunks of green cantaloupe with sweeter fruits in a blender to make a smoothie.
Best wishes,
Hans

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Thanks Hans,

That is what I was thinking, but thought I would check first.

Johanna

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

You might try grilling them to add depth/sweetness.
Samantha

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

johbot wrote:Part of me was disappointed this year when the cucumber seedlings I bought turned out to be rockmelons.

Anyone with any experience or ideas?
You have contributed to my "learn something new each day" storehouse!
Rockmelon is also called cantaloupe, at least in my part of the U.S.
Don't know if I would care for unripe cantaloupe but doubt it would hurt you? :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Don't know if I would care for unripe cantaloupe but doubt it would hurt you?
Wasn't this a punchline in the first version of "Goodbye Mr. Chips", where Chips is encouraged to tell jokes to the students in his Latin class and has the male say he can't elope and the female says "Oh yes, you cannulia"?
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

johbot wrote:Part of me was disappointed ...
Which part?
It tasted like a cross between unripe melon and cucumber ...
Well, all members of the domesticated concurbit family(?) are edible, right? So the only question about toxicity is whether the toxins, if any, are diluted enough (I see Hans's smoothie suggestion) or neutralized (by cooking).
I like to think that in most cases a fruit's only defense is to be toxic until it is ripe enough to eat, at which time it is "happy" to be eaten and the seeds distributed. Much the same is true of vegetables which is why, in general, we boil cabbage, broccoli, carrots etc.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Which part?
I can't tell you that !!! :exclamation: :electric: :exclamation: :electric: :exclamation:

But for anyone else, it was the part of me that was looking forward to having cucumbers for the summer. But the part of me that likes rockmelon was happy

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Thought I'd post a follow up.

I used a Thai recipe for Green Papaya Salad and substituted the shredded unripe rockmelon. It was delicious!

Unfortunately my intestinal tract has not reacted in the same positive way today and let's just say that I have not wandered far from 'conveniences' today. That's a shame, because the taste was really good.

So chalk that one up to experience.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

johbot wrote:Thought I'd post a follow up.

I used a Thai recipe for Green Papaya Salad and substituted the shredded unripe rockmelon. It was delicious!

Unfortunately my intestinal tract has not reacted in the same positive way today and let's just say that I have not wandered far from 'conveniences' today. That's a shame, because the taste was really good.

So chalk that one up to experience.
And put the recipe in your holistic medicine chest as a remedy for constipation. :innocent: :laugh:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

viking33 wrote:Rockmelon is also called cantaloupe, at least in my part of the U.S.
In Victoria, at least when I was younger, it was always called cantaloupe.

In NSW, not many people would know what a cantaloupe.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

GeoffW wrote:
viking33 wrote:Rockmelon is also called cantaloupe, at least in my part of the U.S.
In Victoria, at least when I was younger, it was always called cantaloupe.
In NSW, not many people would know what a cantaloupe.
If I am "on the same page" regarding this topic, we call it muskmelon! :yum: We hunt for the ones grown in Indiana since they seem to be very sweet and juicy. We've tried growing them and have had some success but for the effort expended, we think we're better off buying the few that we eat. :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.