Leek and Potato soup

BigMac
NewLounger

Leek and Potato soup

Post by BigMac »

While those of us in the northern hemisphere are still having cold/cool weather, I thought I'd post one of my favorite soup recipes:

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
Adapted from an Emeril Lagasse recipe

Ingredients

2 lbs of Russet potatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced (or more to your taste)
1 Large onion, chopped
2 strips of bacon chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 Large leeks (white parts only), halved lengthwise, sliced thin crosswise, and washed very well
1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
6 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup heavy cream*
2 tablespoons snipped chives
1 ½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground white pepper

Bouquet Garni:
4 sprigs fresh Thyme
2 Bay leaves
20 black peppercorns

Directions

Bouquet garni – cut a small square of cheesecloth and put the thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns in the middle and tie up into a bundle. Alternately, you can take two of the (washed) green leek leaves and put the spices into them and wrap into a bundle and wrap up with twine and punch several holes in the leaves with the tip of a knife.

Peel potato and dice into ½ in pieces. In a 5- to 8-quart stockpot melt the butter and cook the bacon until fat is rendered and the bacon has turned light brown. Add the onion and cook until it’s just starting to turn translucent. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until the leeks have wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry or wine and bring back to a boil and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and stock and bouquet garni and bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are falling apart and are very tender. In a blender purée soup in batches (or use an immersion blender) until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to another saucepan if you use a blender. Stir in cream, and salt and pepper to taste and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Serve with some of the snipped chives sprinkled over the top of each bowl of soup.

*For a richer and more hardy soup (almost like a bisque), increase the cooking time to 1 hour (or until the level of the liquid drops about 1 ½ inches from when it starts simmering). Blend very lightly and then add 2 cups of cream, stir and bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 5 minutes.
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Leek and Potato soup

Post by HansV »

That sounds good! :yum:

(By the way, spring has suddenly started here. Last week, daytime temperatures were around 5°C (41°F) and the daffodils were tiny green tips barely breaking the soil; now daytime temperatures are between 15 and 20°C (59 - 68°F), andthe daffodils are in full bloom...)
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Re: Leek and Potato soup

Post by Bowlie »

My grandmother made a wonderful Leek and Potato soup, but the recipe was secret (and alas, died with her)

I do remember people asking her how she made it.

With a bit of grin she would say "First, you take a leek" and then "You wash your hands!"