What (meat grinder) blade is that?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

What (meat grinder) blade is that?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I miss my grandma; and my youth.
I bought a meat grinder for $25 weekend before last at The Stratford Antique Warehouse, a great spot.
HPIM5693.JPG
The grinder came with six cutting blades, but it's been so long since I used a grinder, I need a refresher course in what to do with them.
The two blades on the left look like GRINDERS. One of the two blades is double-sided, so I have three cutting surfaces on two blades. Will these blades grind roasted coffee beans?
The next two blades are congruent as far as I can see; the ten circular holes line up perfectly. I experimented with cutting two raw carrots and four broccoli stalks (for Chicken Cacciatore).
The last two blades with elliptical holes make me think of a COARSER cut, in which case I have three distinct cutting blades - fine(x2), medium and coarse.
I'll buy some cheap blade (ha!) steak and make burger patties, for sure, and I remember that I use bread to clean out the remaining bits of meat.
Apart from that I'll accept advice.
Of course, if you use a grinder, I'd be happy to know what you grind in it, and to what end.
P.S. I think I'd like to grate/cut some raw potato into tiny chunks and flash-fry them as a sort of potato-crisp snack, or as a side for Saturday breakfast.
P.P.S. It seems that raw carrot and other fresh but hard vegetables are candidates for crunchy salads, right?
(signed) "Cutting Edge" of Toronto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: What (meat grinder) blade is that?

Post by DaveA »

It has been a long times since I had to stand grind away. My mom did a lot of canning and bulk food prep for storage, so, we kids got to help out.

The first two are grinders and are to be used with grains.
The next two are the most commonly used one for grinding meats, vegetables and etc.
The last two are for getting larger pieces of the items in the second group.

We also had sausage stuffing adapters for the one we had.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:The first two are grinders and are to be used with grains. The next two ...
Thanks Dave.
Grains, eh? I suppose then that I could get a bag of grain from the local feed supply store and "crack" it myself to boil for cereal.
Ever tried that?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No, but I remember grinding and making "Flour".
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:No, but I remember grinding and making "Flour".
You have to make flour?
I thought it was self-raising :laugh:

P.S. I only put that in because this morning I listened to a podcast on 4-D printers. They produce 3-D devices that then modify themselves on exposure to trigger elements.