A Cautionary Tale

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

A Cautionary Tale

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Since childhood we have been told to place nothing on the stove top except for pots and pans.
Below you can see the aftermath of pushing a Tupperware container of sugar off the kitchen counter onto the ceramic(?) stove top, to make way for more ingredients.
And then turning on the wrong element to fry the onions and peppers.
Oh Sure! There was the sound of sizzling to be expected from a frypan full of onions and peppers, but it took deft handling of a spatula and a loud cry of "get out of my way!" to reduce the damage.
The second shot shows what's left of the plastic after the caramelized sugar has been taken away by numerous and lengthy applications of a water-soaked cloth.
In the true spirit of a Second Use For Everything, the orange pot will be used as a home for a houseplant and will, no doubt, become a present on the anniversary of this event.
HPIM4873.JPG
HPIM4874.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: A Cautionary Tale

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Since childhood we have been told to place nothing on the stove top except for pots and pans.
Below you can see the aftermath of pushing a Tupperware container of sugar off the kitchen counter onto the ceramic(?) stove top, to make way for more ingredients.
And then turning on the wrong element to fry the onions and peppers.
Oh Sure! There was the sound of sizzling to be expected from a frypan full of onions and peppers, but it took deft handling of a spatula and a loud cry of "get out of my way!" to reduce the damage.
The second shot shows what's left of the plastic after the caramelized sugar has been taken away by numerous and lengthy applications of a water-soaked cloth.
In the true spirit of a Second Use For Everything, the orange pot will be used as a home for a houseplant and will, no doubt, become a present on the anniversary of this event.
HPIM4873.JPG
HPIM4874.JPG
Have you finished cleaning off the mess? I was checking pages and it seems that WD-40 (part way down the page of hints) may be something to try. I'll leave it to your judgement whether you want to try this suggestion or not. I've never had this happen so I've not tried the solution either!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Use either WD-40 or acetone (nail polish remover) to soften the plastic, and a lot of scraping with a razor to clean it off. Just make sure the entire stove top is cold before using any flammable chemicals, and make sure the chemicals are wiped up and evaporated completely before using the stove again. Hope this helps.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Reminds me of an event a fair few years back: An aunt of mine, having forgotten to buy some ingredients for dinner decided to get some half baked stuff out of the freezer, put in microwave to defrost, and then in the oven for an hour.

Unfortunately, she also forgot to take it out of the plastic container and put it in an oven dish.
Cheers, Claude.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:Have you finished cleaning off the mess? ...
Yup. All done, ice-cream eaten and all.
I started scarping with a wall-paper-scraper then realised that I was scarping because the stuff had MELTED, so I turned on the element for a few seconds, just to RE-soften the plastic. Came off like plasticine!
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Have you finished cleaning off the mess? ...
Yup. All done, ice-cream eaten and all.
Now you've done it.......I'm hungry for ice cream! Vanilla with chocolate sauce added. Here's an easy recipe but it has to be eaten :grin: and not allowed to sit because it will become sugary.

One cup sugar
Two tablespoons Cocoa powder
Two tablespoons butter
One fourth cup milk
Use a sauce pan and mix the cocoa powder and sugar together, add butter and milk. Bring this to a boil and cook to the constancy you desire.

When mine reaches yummy point for my tastes, it will drip slowly off the end of the spoon. So when it is put on top of my ice cream, it will set up just a little and be chewy. My Grandmother would make this stuff and always let me eat my fill! Fortunately, she wouldn't do it often! :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.