Bottling Rhubarb

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Bottling Rhubarb

Post by ChrisGreaves »

By now everyone else is looking out the window staring at their rhubarb Gone To Seed.
Bonavista_20200610_123831.JPG
Here at the end of the earth I have today harvested my first few stalks of the year. They are bigger (length and width) than any I harvested last year, which is a good sign. My goal is to populate the west side of the house with rhubarb, which will benefit from the rain that tumbles off the roof (no eaves-troughs!).

My main source of rhubarb comes in a pickup truck along with grass clippings, so last July I washed the stalks, diced them into one-inch chunks, and pressed them into quart jars, and boiled them for an hour in my tub.

End result: half a dozen quart jars, each with about 50% rhubarb flesh and 50% rhubarb juice.

Sigh!

I repacked the jars by draining off the juice and cramming flesh in, making just three quart jars, but at least they were full of flesh.

I used a tablespoon of bottled rhubarb flesh in my porridge bowl, ladling pre-cooked porridge on the top, and finished my last jar of rhubarb about a month ago. Very tasty and throughout the winter this kept my hopes and dreams alive.
I shall bottle again this year, especially the delivered rhubarb, but I plan to use my fresh crop as a serious treat of fresh fruit. Maybe even get into (or more correctly, get into me) rhubarb pie!

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Bottling Rhubarb

Post by Graeme »

Before we moved to our present house I had an allotment for a couple of years and the previous tenant left a clump of rhubarb. It was lovely! We had it with ice cream and the missus knocked up some rhubarb and apple crumble a couple of times.

Preserving for adding to porridge is a great idea.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Bottling Rhubarb

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:02
Before we moved to our present house I had an allotment for a couple of years and the previous tenant left a clump of rhubarb. It was lovely! We had it with ice cream and the missus knocked up some rhubarb and apple crumble a couple of times. Preserving for adding to porridge is a great idea.
Thanks Graeme.

I learned the other day that I can drink the juice I collected.
I was wondering what to do with it ...
I might cut it 50-50 with my home-made ginger beer.

(later) not bad.
Since rhubarb juice is acidic I suppose too that i could use it to marinatye meat, such as pork steaks.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle