Recommendations wanted re: wireless/wired router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Recommendations wanted re: wireless/wired router

Post by Pilgrim »

I have a friend that asked me to recommend a wireless/wired router that will be used within the home to connect 1 Desktop (wired) and 1 laptop (wireless)... AND... to be shared with an elderly lady who lives next door. The adjacent house is within 20 feet I am told.

Networking is my weak spot so I thought I would seek advice from those of you who have a penchant for this. Personally I have been using my old standby, a Linksys WRT54G for many years without any problems. But I am guessing the technology has greatly advanced since I purchased this old thing which would give both better performance but especially range.

What say you?
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Recommendations wanted re: wireless/wired router

Post by John Gray »

ADSL or cable? I would go for a Wireless-N router, which should give better range, but you will be going through two outer walls, at least...

There's no possibility of laying an ethernet cable between the houses and through the walls, is there?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

John Gray wrote:ADSL or cable? I would go for a Wireless-N router, which should give better range, but you will be going through two outer walls, at least...

There's no possibility of laying an ethernet cable between the houses and through the walls, is there?
1. I'm fairly certain that they don't have ADSL, but I can check.

2. Dunno... it might be possible, but only if drilling holes in the walls wasn't required. Image I can check on that also.
Jeff

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

John Gray wrote:ADSL or cable? ...

1. I was just told that they have a DSL connection.

2. And, I was informed that laying a cable wouldn't be feasible for whatever reason and that it would have to be run up 3 floors on the neighbor's house where the woman has her PC.

So, with that further information, what router seems best to meet those requirements and situation? I am interested in brand/model if possible and not just "type"... UNLESS of course, brand isn't that important, i.e., Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear, etc., are basically on the same level??

THANKS
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

So, with that further information, what router seems best to meet those requirements and situation? I am interested in brand/model if possible and not just "type"... UNLESS of course, brand isn't that important, i.e., Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear, etc., are basically on the same level??
I've had very good luck with D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router at home.

Joe
Last edited by JoeP on 16 Feb 2010, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Pilgrim wrote:I was informed that laying a cable wouldn't be feasible for whatever reason and that it would have to be run up 3 floors on the neighbor's house where the woman has her PC.
I don't like the sound of that, because it seems that the signal would have to go at a sharp angle through an outside wall, and perhaps also a couple of (solid?) floors. Thus lots of Stuff to cause attenuation.

I wonder if you can borrow a router to try to assess simply the wireless signal strength from where it will be situated to where this lady will be wanting to use a laptop/PC? Doesn't have to be connected to anything except the mains power, just broadcasting wireless signals. There's really no other way of doing it than to try it. Joe's recommendation is probably as good as any, if not better! Can you do 'sale or return' easily?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

NYIntensity
Lounger

Post by NYIntensity »

One thing you may want to try is placing the router near a window that has line-of-sight to a window the PC is going to be located in... getting the router up to that part of the house may require something fancy, like powerline ethernet ;)

mwolfman
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Post by mwolfman »

Remember - if the computer doesn't have N capabilities, it's not going to matter. I have a Linksys G router that works my floor, the two floors above me, next door (both ways), my backyard and across the street. A G or N wireless router should work fine.
Mike Wolfman

--To err is human; to really screw up requires root