Strange: connected to internet but can't connect (SOLVED)

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
jaystarter
3StarLounger

Strange: connected to internet but can't connect (SOLVED)

Post by jaystarter »

Just as a matter of interest I started to get a strange behaviour on a PC with Vista Home Premium whereby I would use the internet OK then the browser would freeze and not navigate to any sites or links - just as if there was no internet connection. Yet the icon in the bottom task bar said connected to local network and internet. This was using IEX 9 or Firefox so not a browser issue. A reboot of the computer would fix things for 10 mins or so then the same freeze would happen. Well, I estimate I spent about 8 hours in all over several days doing system restores, turning off anti virus, disabling firewall (very briefly) checking properties of network card updating (and rolling back) drivers for network card....and lots more. Event viewer showed many errors which meant nothing to me but one about Shared NAT access seemed to crop up regularly. Running in safe mode see this post there was no problem so I assumed some programme somewhere was causing this but how to find which one. I couldn't remember installing anything recentley. However while looking through the add or remove programmes from control panel options I realised the last "new" piece of software installed over a month ago was NETWORX BANDWIDTH MONITOR http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ Just as well try so uninstalled and Hey Hey!! All back running smoothly. Looking at the Softperfect site it appears I had the beta and there were known problems http://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?8,10824 How frustrating when the solution was so simple and obvious and reminded me that at one time I used to keep a book and write down any updates or installed software I did. I think I'll start doing that again!
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Strange: connected to internet but can't connect (SOLVED

Post by HansV »

Thanks - it might be helpful to others!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jaystarter wrote:...at one time I used to keep a book and write down any updates or installed software I did. I think I'll start doing that again!
I use a simple text file with a shortcut on my desktop. I log any installations or upgrades and also any problems I have.

The first line of the text file is
.LOG
which causes notepad to scroll to the bottom and add the date and time whenever I open the file.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Interesting. I've used Networx for perhaps 18 months and never had any trouble with it at all! I found it much more reliable than Netmeter.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Jeff mentioned that he had installed a beta version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

StuartR wrote:The first line of the text file is
.LOG
which causes notepad to scroll to the bottom and add the date and time whenever I open the file.
Nifty trick, Stuart! I'll start using Notepad in this way also.

Do you have any other Notepad tricks?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, that is the only "extra" functionality in Notepad.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

John Gray wrote:Interesting. I've used Networx for perhaps 18 months and never had any trouble with it at all! I found it much more reliable than Netmeter.
And surprising, but this was on a machine running Vista :flee: I used Netmeter for some time but changed to Networx as it wasn't compatable with Windows 7. And Networx (the same beta) has been ok on my windows 7 PC and was installed at the same time.
Jeff

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've been trying to get Her Ladyship to make of habit of using Notepad to jot notes. I've even spent time showing her how to have multiple apps opened in reduced windows so that she can switch back and forth among them - Word to Notepad to Word, for example. She hasn't yet wrapped her mind around the concept and will spend more time hunting for pen and paper than I can tell you. The simplest use for Notepad is to jot down phone numbers, and other information when talking with a support desk somewhere. I use it whenever I would normally reach for a pen and paper.

There is a down side, though. If, for some reason, you can't boot, you can't access any saved notepad files on that computer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...There is a down side, though. If, for some reason, you can't boot, you can't access any saved notepad files on that computer.
I keep all my files on a "server" which is backed up every night, so if one of the other computers can't boot I can still get to the log file. If the PC I use as a server can't boot then I can mount the backup on another computer to see the files.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:
BobH wrote:...There is a down side, though. If, for some reason, you can't boot, you can't access any saved notepad files on that computer.
I keep all my files on a "server" which is backed up every night, so if one of the other computers can't boot I can still get to the log file. If the PC I use as a server can't boot then I can mount the backup on another computer to see the files.

You have an excellent situation, Stuart. My caution was specific to a single computer user who might not have current backups and adequate recovery procedures. I think there are more folks who do not have multiple machines - and who do not make adequate backups - than there are those like you. My caution was meant for them.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It may be of interest for NetWorx users to know that a new version 5.1.9 came out on 25th August, three days after v 5.1.8, fixing a couple of problems...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thank you John for pointing this out. Looking at the changelog I see what could have been my original problem

•Updated network drivers solve incompatibility with AVG and several other issues.

This may explain why the Windows Vista PC with AVG fell down while the Windows 7 PC with Avast worked OK.
Jeff

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Well spotted, Jeff!
John Gray