Recommendations for a wireless cable modem?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Recommendations for a wireless cable modem?

Post by Pilgrim »

My brother is going to be subscribing to Comcast Cable and doesn't want to spend the $5/mo. to lease a modem from Comcast. He has asked me for a recommendation for a wireless cable modem so that he can use his 3 Windows PC's with this service. What brands/models should he consider?

Thanks
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Recommendations for a wireless cable modem?

Post by BobH »

Unless technology has changed since I last bought, the cable modem does not provide access for more than one computer. In order to support multiple computers, the cable modem must be connected to a router. The router manages messages and specifically identifies each message with a specific device when there are more than one; therefore it can 'route' the messages to the correct device. Routers can use either cable or wireless or can do both; however there are limits on the number of devices each router can handle. Typically one sees a single cable modem and a 4-port router in use in home environments. I don't know of any equipment that is both a modem and a router (but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there).

One question I would have is whether or not Comcast will support an installation that does not have a cable modem supplied by them. I can see where it might be problematic to have a hodgepodge of modems in use in the network. There are loop back tests and signalling variables that would make it impossible to provide acceptable support to end users.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Recommendations for a wireless cable modem?

Post by DaveA »

If one uses a non Comcast modem, the the trouble shooting stops at that point. If the Tech center sees the modem, then their equipment is OK. Then YOU the owner must handle the problem from there. I use a Comcast modem, and it has been replaced 4 times since we started using Comcast. Sometimes that solved the problem and sometimes it did not. Since the new modem was install, and registered, it was left in place and the old one taken.

Yes, you can buy a cable modem/router, but they ALL may not work with your cable provider.

I have a Comcast modem (Motorola SB4200), a Netgear FGV318 wireless/wired (8 port) switch (http://netgear.com/products/business/VP ... VG318.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living