Powerline Ethernet

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Powerline Ethernet

Post by t8ntlikly »

I am moving, and the place that I am moving to doesn't have an Ethernet connection to every room. Yes I could go wireless, but I would rather be hardwired. I am looking at Powerline ethernet adaptors and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Powerline Ethernet

Post by John Gray »

(Cutted and Pasted...)

If you mean Homeplug, I've had three or four '85' Mbps ones at home for a couple of years, and one has failed over that period. Just plugged them in and they worked.Very positive about them in a situation where wireless signals are flakey.

Got a pair for work, one of which is a WAP which just gets plugged into a 13A socket in the room where a laptop wants to access the internet. Took the aerial off it to save it getting broken, and it works perfectly without!

I can give more details if you like, and the price has come down quite a lot recently - at least in the UK!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

NYIntensity
Lounger

Post by NYIntensity »

John, I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about 'em as well...I know you've mentioned them before. I hear they're not exactly ideal for more corporate settings though. I wonder if your neighbor could plug one in and get your signal at all?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Have a look at this text and the diagrams. And a Q&A.
And the lovely Louise tells you about their range of (UK-mains based!) Homeplugs on a short video.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

t8ntlikly
NewLounger

Post by t8ntlikly »

They are still a little expensive across the pond John, but when one figures in time and other costs I guess not too bad. Still thinking about it here.