Strange Response Behavior

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Strange Response Behavior

Post by BobH »

I've been experiencing response 'hangs' when browsing to some pages. I haven't discerned a pattern; but it seems that if there is the possibility of cached, data it doesn't happen. To clear the problem, I have found that closing Firefox and disconnecting my wifi link then restarting and reopening does the trick. I suspect that the wifi link is OK because this is only happening with my desktop machine, not with iPads and streaming devices.

I've tried the network problem tool to no good effect. Can anyone suggest diagnostics that might identify the problem? I have no clue where to look at present.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Strange Response Behavior

Post by HansV »

I assume that you have a WiFi adapter plugged into your PC. I have found that those are less dependable than the built-in WiFi of tables tablets, phones and streaming devices. I too have to disconnect, then reconnect it from time to time...
Last edited by HansV on 25 Jan 2018, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct a typo
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:...the built-in WiFi of tables...
The great thing about WiFi connected tables is that you can browse the lounge while you eat your dinner
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh:

I have corrected my typo, but left the original visible.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I want a WiFi connected table. It's clearly the IoT device my home has been missing.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Not quite a dinner table, but getting there...
Image 030.jpg
Image 029.jpg
CapeLux wrote:Ideum has built a 46-inch Android tablet that doubles as a coffee table and that can respond to 60 touches simultaneously. Unveiled by Ideum and 3M at the Digital Signage Expo in Las Vegas, the supersized slate boasts a full HD display and has a 64-bit Intel processor running the whole show so it’s as fast and responsive as it is big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Wants it
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

No price given, which usually translates as, "If you have to ask, you can't afford."

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:I assume that you have a WiFi adapter plugged into your PC. I have found that those are less dependable than the built-in WiFi of tables tablets, phones and streaming devices. I too have to disconnect, then reconnect it from time to time...
Yes, I do have a wifi adapter on my desktop but I've used it without this problem for years. This hang is happening a couple of times a day now and has become quite annoying in its effect and the interruption in work that it takes to reset.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

There are so many things that could cause this that it can be extremely hard to diagnose. Things that might have changed include:
  • A neighbour started using WiFi with the same, or an adjacent, channel
  • A device such as a microwave oven or DECT phone is putting out radio interference in the WiFi channel
  • Your WiFi router or card has developed a fault
  • Gremlins
In the first case it might be worth getting a WiFi channel scanner app for your phone or tablet, to see who else is using the same WiFi channel. I use WiFi Analyzer on my Android devices, but there are others.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

There's no date on the web page, but if its running Android 4.1, then this equates to Mid 2012.... which is ancient old article!!

There is however a price tag on the device (at that time going for) - $7,000. :yikes:
CapeLux wrote:The screen has been sufficiently strengthened to take the weight of glasses, cups and serving bowls and that the whole thing is sufficiently water resistant to survive accidental spills.It has 500GB on board and has all of the wireless connections, from wifi to Bluetooth, in order to connect to other devices and peripherals.Out of the rather sizable box, it runs version 4.1 of Android, meaning that pretty much anything in the Google Play store will work on the device.

However, because it uses 3M’s multitouch technology, designed to support multiple users simultaneously, there is scope for a host of more interactive multi-user apps or multi-player games too.The Platform Multitouch Coffee Table will cost $7,000 when it goes on sale later this year and while it’s aimed primarily at coffee shop owners, there’s no reason why it can’t take pride of place in anyone’s living room.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I expect LoungeAdmin will be sending me one of those for my annual bonus this year.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:I've been experiencing response 'hangs' when browsing to some pages. I haven't discerned a pattern; but it seems that if there is the possibility of cached, data it doesn't happen. To clear the problem, I have found that closing Firefox and disconnecting my wifi link then restarting and reopening does the trick. I suspect that the wifi link is OK because this is only happening with my desktop machine, not with iPads and streaming devices.

I've tried the network problem tool to no good effect. Can anyone suggest diagnostics that might identify the problem? I have no clue where to look at present.
BobH wrote:Yes, I do have a wifi adapter on my desktop but I've used it without this problem for years. This hang is happening a couple of times a day now and has become quite annoying in its effect and the interruption in work that it takes to reset.
I agree with Stuart that it can be difficult to diagnose. I also use WiFi Analyzer [Android]. If you don't see a similar pattern with your iPads, when used in the same place, then perhaps there could be a problem with the wifi adapter/card on your desktop; or the configuration (drivers etc.), or something else.

What do you see? Is the connection lost?
StuartR wrote:I expect LoungeAdmin will be sending me one of those for my annual bonus this year.
OT: Seems to be a popular topic among our admins ...
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:OT: Seems to be a popular topic among our admins ...
Hope springs eternally...
Best wishes,
Hans