Internet Speed

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Internet Speed

Post by Rudi »

Argus wrote:And behind that Wi-Fi connection I assume you have a wired one. :smile: Yes, I guess that one should be symmetrical.
The router is connected to an aerial. The aerial is connected to a tower and the tower is connected to my ISP. Inbetween these connections is a radio of some sort. That's about as much as I know about the tech. :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:I'm not unhappy with my upload speed, but I don't think I'm getting what I pay for on download.
DaveA wrote:Most will say UPTO xx speed, and that means anywhere from 0-XX speed.

Edit and the sold speed is for Cat type of connection. WiFi will even be slower.
I agree with you about wired connection, Dave. But I haven't heard "up to XX" for years, even then, with ADSL, I don't think many mentioned it that often, even if they should have. I don't know about Internet via cable-TV, but with fiber I wouldn't accept "up to XX" or too much deviation. Say 80 %, perhaps 75 %, below that isn't good enough; but that's just me.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Rudi wrote:
Argus wrote:And behind that Wi-Fi connection I assume you have a wired one. :smile: Yes, I guess that one should be symmetrical.
The router is connected to an aerial. The aerial is connected to a tower and the tower is connected to my ISP. Inbetween these connections is a radio of some sort. That's about as much as I know about the tech. :laugh:
Oh dear; as I said I don't know much about Wi-Fi, and radio is magic. :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote:The router is connected to an aerial. The aerial is connected to a tower and the tower is connected to my ISP.
Dry Bones
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:music: :pinkelephant: :fanfare:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

DaveA wrote:Most will say UPTO xx speed, and that means anywhere from 0-XX speed.

Dave. But I haven't heard "up to XX" for years, even then, with ADSL, I don't think many mentioned it that often, even if they should have. I don't know about Internet via cable-TV, but with fiber I wouldn't accept "up to XX" or too much deviation. Say 80 %, perhaps 75 %, below that isn't good enough; but that's just me.
You need to read the contract, that is where you will most likely see the UP TO.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Not so much a reply but a question. I am with Virgin Media who - I vaguely remember - informed me some months ago that (as a long term customer) they were increasing my download speed to super fast for free. That being, I think, well over over 100 Mb/ps. Comparing Virgin prices with other provider I think they are way too high so have searched on line and find that some are 40% less for the same package. e.g. B.B + unlimited calls though the speeds offered are on average about 64 Mb/ps. I have just performed a speed test and discover it is way less than what I recall them promising. I don't engage in any on-line gaming rather only send regular emails and download the occasional sermon / debate from Moriel TV so what download would be adequate please? I think £30 / £35 per month is more in line with my means so here are the current options available to us in the UK.
https://broadband.comparethemarket.com/ ... itedOption :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not living in the UK, I don't have an opinion on the providers. I would choose a plan with unlimited data usage, and a speed of 55 Mbps or more so that you can view high-definition video without delays or stuttering. Such plans start at around £25/month.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans, your recommended speed of at least 55Mbps + is a good guide to base my choice on but e.g. Talk Talk -one of the providers that offer 63 Mbps charges £35 and that is about average here. Much more attractive than what Virgin Media charge...... £48 per month. Looks like I'll be opting for a different provider at the end of the month. Great help........... Regards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Choosing an ISP, like just about everything else these days, seems to be a bit of a lottery, in that they all promise great service but they all fail in some way to deliver it. In other words, for every person that raves about one offering there will be another who says the same offering is rubbish.

To get the best deal you need to work out what you need. My Internet requirements are modest. I browse a few websites. I don't do gaming, I don't stream video apart from the very occasional BBC or ITV programme (one of each so far since the start of the year) that I was not able to record onto my digital video recorder as it was transmitted. All of that downloading is more than adequately covered by my unlimited non-fibre broadband contract that gives me a top download speed of about 18Mbps. The upload speed on my connection is snails pace, around only 1Mbps but since the only uploading I do is sending emails with a maximum attachment size of 1MB it too is enough for my needs.

I almost certainly could get a cheaper ISP deal that my current arrangement by buying both my landline and broadband connection from the same provider BUT I stick with a split arrangement for privacy reasons. First, my landline number has been 'ex-directory' since way, way before the rise of cold calling so the only people that know my number are those people that I have given it to. Second, my landline number is permanently withheld when I dial out, so I can call companies and they can't capture my number and add it to their systems. The likelihood of these two features, which I see as benefits, getting lost if I switched provider is not insignificant. Thirdly, the email system of my landline provider does NOT include the ability to create an unlimited number of different email address, my (separate) broadband provider does allow this, meaning when I have to give an email address to a company I can create one that is specific to that company. If that email address then stars sending me junk I can delete the email address and I get no more junk. This, coupled with the automatic spam filtering done by my broadband provider, means that only one piece of spam has reached my computer in living memory (a blatant phishing message arrived the other day).

So, what are your needs? If you want to stream video then an unlimited and very fast connection is a must, so that the video downloads without stuttering. Uploads speeds are less important unless you want to send large files, e.g. share a video file that's on your own computer by uploading it to somewhere like YouTube/DropBox/etc. If you have a slow upload speed it will take a while for such a file be sent across that slow connection. There is also a greater risk of a large file getting corrupted across a connection (meaning you have to send it again).

That brings us back to which ISP? If you Google 'recommended ISP UK' one of the top hits is this article in the Independent that talks about an Ofcom report that illustrates what I hinted at at the start of this post, it's a very mixed picture out there.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I am not sure how much of this article you can see if you are not a subscriber. It seems to be visible, but I may be wrong.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broadband-deals
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Another thing to consider with the "all in one" package, if there is a problem with the "Connection" and nothing works, how does one call their ISP?

I know most people have a cell phone with to use, but some of us do NOT.

I have made many a sale person really think hard when I ask how was I to call them if there is no connection.
The look on their face when I tell them I have no cell phone!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You could always send them a letter Dave.

How do you notify your telephone service provider of faults if you have no other phone?
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the comments, as I expected it's a jungle out there with the predators only interested in fleecing the vulnerable customer who is in the majority seeing the experts are a rare breed. One of the most blatant rip offs is the Gaul to charge a monthly fee for just having a line attached to one's house. Thanks Dave.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The stated speed for every provider I've seen is for a WIRED connection. If you are using Wi-Fi your speed will probably be much less than the stated speed.
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

My house is connected by fiber optics and seeing the modem is right next to the computer i don't need Wi-Fi. so the speed should be what the provider promised.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are not getting what you are paying for then initiate a trouble ticket with your ISP. Don't let them off the hook.
Joe

Oliver
2StarLounger

Post by Oliver »

JoeP wrote:If you are not getting what you are paying for then initiate a trouble ticket with your ISP. Don't let them off the hook.
Totally agree with JoeP
Do not pay for a service you're not getting.
Regards,
Oliver
“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.” -Thomas Edison

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..will discretely ask them what they promised to provide then tell them what I am getting and see what they have to say.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Information please

Post by Dave Davison »

UK loungers; I have been with Virgin Media for many years my current package being, line rental, unlimited anytime calls and Broadband for which they charge £48 per month. Anyone with personal experience of a reputable server offering the same deal for less.