Cameras keep disconnecting

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
weese237
2StarLounger

Cameras keep disconnecting

Post by weese237 »

I had two mpeg cameras that I could see on my mobile device away from home no problem. The clarity wasn't very good so we decided to get the HD 1080 kind. I moved the old ones to other locations and I set up the new ones the same way with static ip addresses and port forwarding.

The clarity is outstanding. The problem is viewing them away from home. They connect and then disappear with a "connection" error. Then they come back and if I click on one of the cameras to enlarge, it may stay connected or it may not. If we both try with each phone, one will most likely connect and the other may not. :hairout: There is no issues with the old cameras.

I'm wondering if the router isn't strong enough for all the devices we have now. They obviously aren't all connected at once but 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, a laptop, wireless printer, and now 4 cameras might have done everything in? :laugh:

Any thoughts?
Louise     :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cameras keep disconnecting

Post by HansV »

It could be the WiFi. Here are some troubleshooting steps:
If possible, try wiring your camera into your network temporarily using an Ethernet network cable, and see if the problem disappears. If the problem still exists your camera hardware likely has a problem in its network interface. If wiring the camera does solve the problem, then this points to a weak Wi-Fi signal.

If you have a weak Wi-Fi signal, a few steps to try:
  • Place your router at a higher location, such as on a shelf.
  • Try moving the camera closer to your router (or vice-versa). If possible, try to minimize the number of walls between the router and the camera (Wi-Fi signals have a hard time getting through walls).
  • Electrical interference from a device like a cordless phone or microwave oven can cause the signal to drop. If you suspect this is the problem, you can try to move your camera away from these devices. If the problem stops when you moved the camera away from a cordless phone or similar device, you might consider replacing that device with another one that uses a different frequency.
  • Change the channel of your router. Like TV sets, wireless signals are sent on channels. Many products ship with a default channel set to 6. If your neighbors are all on the same channel, you can try using your router software to change the channel to 1 or 11 (farthest away from 6).
  • Putting in a repeater or router with a stronger signal.
(Source: My camera keeps dropping the connection to the network)
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Hans, thanks! I'll give this a try.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

I think I fixed it, for now. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway. :laugh:

I purchased a new router. I needed to anyway as mine was old and out of date. The new AC1750 is much faster but it didn't help with the disconnect problems. Was still disconnecting when I was away.

I read on the Foscam forum someone saying absolutely DO NOT use UPnP, so that's what I was doing. I finally found someone on the specific APPS website that I HAD to use UPnP. Needless to say I was confused. Should I or shouldn't I ..... Well since not using it didn't work when I was away from home, I decided to activate UPnP and now I don't lose connections.

Hopefully I won't have any security problems that I read about.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad it works now. I hope you won't experience any security problems.
Best wishes,
Hans