Wired and Wireless

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Wired and Wireless

Post by E_OGRADY »

I do not understand where to go, so it may take a couple of posts with assistance for the forum.
I have a WiFi network Named (say) NETWORK100XX which has worked for twelve months.

Now I have a new desktop (rebuilt with Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3DDR3 motherboard) which does not have a wireless adapter (At least I don't think so) I want to share drives etc over this network. Both the HP Pavilion and the Desktop are connected the the Internet, The HP pavilion is using my NETWORK100XX network to connect, the desktop just states it is connected to the internet. There is no ICON in the task area.

The equipment is NETGEAR WNDR4500 Router.

Notebook HP Pavilion Windows 10
Notebook Dell D630 Windows XP
Epson printer NX430
Epson Printer RX590 Connected via USB port on Router
HP 2100tn Network Printer. connected to router port
Synology ds214se NAS connected to router port
Medion NAS connected to router port.
TP-Link Range extender.

My new Desktop connected to router port. Windows 10

I want to add the new desktop to this wireless network. Or at least see them all.

I use NETGEAR GENIE

On the HP notebook it shows a full map of all the above excluding the new desktop.

On the new desktop (NETGEAR GENIE) it shows the wired connections to the router.

Do I have to configure the Router to combine these computers or Bridge the network? So that I can MAP network drives.
I have no idea, I can at least use the Synology to access files etc. by copying to the NAS then to the other computer.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Wired and Wireless

Post by StuartR »

If the laptop and the desktop are both connected to the same router then that should be all you need at the physical layer. Just as a quick check can you get to a command prompt on both computers, type IPCONFIG, then copy the output and paste it here so we can check that they both see the same network.

This may be an issue with workgroup names, rather than network connectivity. That would affect your ability to browse to a shared drive, but you should still be able to map the drive if you know exactly how it is connected. Are both computers in the same workgroup? You can check your workgroup name in Control Panel > System.
StuartR

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Stuart.
I will post both as graphics, I hope this is OK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That's good. Both computers are on the same network, even though one of them is a wireless connection and the other is wired.

Next check is that they are in the same workgroup.
StuartR

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Both are in the same Workgroup, namely MSHOME.
At this stage I am handicapped in that my MODEM only works if I tip it on its side.
I have replaced the cable between the filter and the MODEM and have my friendly technician coming tomorrow 5:00 pm.
Whether there is a link to the problem I do not know.
I will report back as soon as there is a development.
Sorry to be so long in replying but I stressed out yesterday.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

One final thing that you should check is that both computers have a username with the same password. So if you log in as "Julius Caesar" on the laptop with a password of "Et2Brute" then you should have an identical username and password on the desktop computer. You don't need to log in as Julius Caesar on the desktop, but make sure that you have created the user account with the identical password.
StuartR

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

My mate a computer technician is coming tomorrow to check out the Modem.

Both computer (win 10) have identical user names and passwords.

The only thing I did do was switch off SYNC when I was trying to trace the display problem.

Thanks for you help thus far

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Sorry to be so long in getting back, I have had a hard time of tracing this down (I hope). I think the problem has turned out to be a faulty DSL filter.
Finally I purchased a new MODEM, a Netgear DM111P, this turn out to be beyond my understanding, in that it was assigning via DHCP new IP addresses. Also it had the same IP address as my router.
We reset the IP address of the MODEM and all seemed OK until the next morning where on booting all had been reset to defaults and the MODEM again had the same IP address as the router, repeated the previous days configuration all worked again until the telephone rang, again a reset. Decided to try it without the phone, all worked well for two days, plugged the phone back in, again chaos.
This time a new filter, and plugging the MODEM into a notebook and switched off the ability of the MODEM assigning the IP addresses and all has been good for three days.
In the middle of this my Desktop received the install of the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10, fortunately that went well but hasd to chanhe a lot of defaults.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I hope it continues to work for you...
StuartR