Dial up Internet

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Garylee
NewLounger

Dial up Internet

Post by Garylee »

Can someone recommend the best Dial Up Internet? I had NetZero for six months and was never able to connect to the internet. They sent me a disc to load on my computer but it would not load. Every time I tried to load it, it would give me an error code. When I called NetZero, they would not help me. They told me that I had to pay extra for assistance.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Dial up Internet

Post by StuartR »

What country are you in? There are very few places that still have dial-up internet.

I have moved this post from our Windows 7 forum to "Networking your home".
StuartR

Garylee
NewLounger

Post by Garylee »

I live in the United States, in Oklahoma.

Thank you for writing.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

So, what type of internet connection do you have ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I fear that very few of us have recent experience with dial-up internet, so it's hard to recommend a specific provider.

EarthLink promises free support, and ISP.com does so too.

Here is a list of Top Dial-up Internet Service Providers; I can't vouch for its accuracy.
Best wishes,
Hans

Garylee
NewLounger

Post by Garylee »

I have AA&T WiFi, but it is kind of expensive when I run over my limit so I was looking to hook up a dial-up service on a second computer. I know it is slow, but it is (1) cheap, and (2) has unlimited usage.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Garylee, your last post finally makes sense of this thread. I'd recommend getting in contact with some of the ISP's in Hans's links above. Getting quotes from them and inquiring about their services should help you in your search for a better provider.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

mrjimphelps
NewLounger

Post by mrjimphelps »

Garylee wrote:I have AA&T WiFi, but it is kind of expensive when I run over my limit so I was looking to hook up a dial-up service on a second computer. I know it is slow, but it is (1) cheap, and (2) has unlimited usage.
Gary:

May I suggest that you give this a second thought. Dialup was great in the DOS era, when everything was text. However, in the modern era, there is a huge amount of graphic content which will be going over the line. Accessing today's internet content via dialup will be excruciatingly slow. (Unless there is some new technology that I haven't heard about.)

Also, you will have to have an analog phone line. If you don't already have one, that will be an additional expense.

The very slowest broadband service will be a much better surfing experience than dialup; and it can't cost that much more than dialup, especially when you add in the cost of a phone line.

As far as having unlimited usage, often the way you get that with broadband is that they throttle back the speed. Even with the speed throttled back to the minimum, it will still be far better than dialup.

Good luck!

Jim