A long shot

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Dave Davison
SilverLounger

A long shot

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi, some time ago Hans gave me step by step instructions on how to link my laptop running XP to my W7 PC so I could access information [blocks of text] on a program only compatible with 32 a Bits system on the laptop then copy & paste it into lecture notes in a Word doc. I suspect this is a long shot but is it possible to make the PC screen show the same as the laptop? This way taking a screen shot would make the process somewhat easier. Here's hoping. Dave. :thankyou:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: A long shot

Post by stuck »

If I understand your request correctly you want the W7 PC monitor to display what is showing on the XP laptop's monitor BUT you then want to invoke a screen capture utility that's running on the W7 PC so it can capture what is being displayed on the XP laptop's monitor and save it to the W7 PC. I don't think that can be done, at least not in that way.

You need to run a screen capture utility on the XP laptop and save the capture to the XP laptop and then transfer that file to the W7 PC in the same way as you are transferring the files (blocks of text) from the 32 bit application on the XP laptop to the W7 PC.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken.....thought so, but worth a try asking to convince myself........Regards Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:Hi, some time ago Hans gave me step by step instructions on how to link my laptop running XP to my W7 PC so I could access information [blocks of text] on a program only compatible with 32 a Bits system on the laptop then copy & paste it into lecture notes in a Word doc. I suspect this is a long shot but is it possible to make the PC screen show the same as the laptop? This way taking a screen shot would make the process somewhat easier. Here's hoping. Dave. :thankyou:
Remote Desktop should do this for you, but it will depend on how you can connect / are connecting the two machines.

Using Remote Desktop, anything I copy into the clipboard (including graphics) on the remote machine is still in the clipboard when I switch back to the local machine.
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Leif................Remote Desktop is something completly new to me so I would be most grateful for any further indtructions on how to use it. Thanks Dave.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If you can't get Remote Desktop to work properly (sometimes it has trouble working between different versions of Windows), you can try TightVNC. It's a free, lightweight remote access program. You install a "server" on the PC you want to control (your XP machine) and a "viewer" on the one that does the controlling (the W7 machine). The screen of the XP will display in a window on the W7 machine, and you can use screen capture to grab the contents of that window.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks Leif................Remote Desktop is something completly new to me so I would be most grateful for any further indtructions on how to use it. Thanks Dave.
I have no idea how you connect the two computers at the moment, but see Connecting to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection - Windows Help for further information.
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks for the replies, something more to explore, the step by step process that Hans gave me - which by the way I found dead easy to follow - is pasted below just in case anyone else has a need to link computers using both XP 7 W7. :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...the step by step process that Hans gave me...
Umm, at the risk of being pedantic, it wasn't Hans that gave you those steps, it was me, in post 131571

While the suggestions to use Remote Desktop and TightVNC will allow you to do the screen capture in the way you originally wanted I suspect you will find my idea of doing it in stages (capture the screen on the XP box, save the screen capture to a file, move the file over to the W7 machine) more straightforward since it is just another application of the file transfer process with which you are already familiar.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

First of all, apologies Ken for the correction I thought it was Hanse, I did a search of sorts to try to locate the post you mentioned to refresh my mind on the issue but could not locate it otherwise I would have instantly seen who gave the lengthy - but clear - answer to my question. Thanks to your lengthy answer in post 131571 I soon got the hang of transfering files from the "Shared" folder on my PC running XP BUT -to my regret- having again read the said post I now see that I did not bring the thread to a conclusion by making it known & expressing appreciation so sincere apologies for that omission. Will run through the steps again especially 3) e) and see if I need to make some correction Regards Dave.