NAS...

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
dasadler
5StarLounger

NAS...

Post by dasadler »

As I am looking to add storage accessible to all the users on my home network I see all the NAS boxes that are pretty expensive. I also know that my router (Asus Wireless Router RT-AC66U) will allow a USB drive to be connected to it and shared across the network. Since I can buy a USB external drive for much less than the NAS boxes I see for sale... my question is:

Is there any advantage to having such a NAS box? Does it do anything other than simply make storage space available? How does an external USB drive differ from what I can pay big money for?
Don

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: NAS...

Post by JoeP »

Modern NAS:
1.) may be setup in a RAID configuration for resiliency and redundancy
2.) may be configured to be accessible from the internet
3.) manage multiple user systems accessing files
4.) some have backup utilities to enable PCs to be backed up to NAS
5.) may be greatly expandable
6.) provide apps for pcs,tablets and phones to access data

Joe
Joe

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks. With the exception of internet access, can't this all be done with a B/U utility like Syncback? Is the RAID a H/W or S/W thing?
Don

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Internet access can be handled easily too. If you have files you want to access using the internet you can get a free copy of Team Viewer or many other conferencing / sharing softwares and copy files that way. Also, for security you can easily setup hidden shares that only specific users can access, or even see. The NAS is a nice tool for complicated systems but it can be a bit of an muchness for simple home use. I do have a NAS and am happy with it but I am also a major computer nerd who has to have the best of everything. :brainwash: ed
Who will you Inspire today?