Connecting an external router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
RonH
SilverLounger

Connecting an external router

Post by RonH »

My broadband provider has issued a replacement ADSL modem/combined router because they suspect that my existing (ageing) ADSL modem is limiting broadband speed. But I need to use my current wifi set up of Belkin 750 router and range extender and not the router part of their Inteno DG 150. Current set up gives me good range plus 'guest' internet for my internet radio which only has WEP security. My pc's are set at the more secure WPA2.
I understand that this is possible ... but how do I interconnect :scratch:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Connecting an external router

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:My broadband provider has issued a replacement ADSL modem/combined router because they suspect that my existing (ageing) ADSL modem is limiting broadband speed. But I need to use my current wifi set up of Belkin 750 router and range extender and not the router part of their Inteno DG 150. Current set up gives me good range plus 'guest' internet for my internet radio which only has WEP security. My pc's are set at the more secure WPA2.
I understand that this is possible ... but how do I interconnect :scratch:
Ron
Hi Ron,
I'm not familiar with the DG 150 or Belkin 750. I do have Verizon DSL with a Westell 6500 Modem\wireless router and a D-Link DIR 615 wireless router. I had a separate modem from Verizon w/o wireless and the D-Link. Verizon upgraded me to the 6500, so I just left both in place, which left me with two separate wireless access points. They seem to be working together fine and I have the DSL line plugged into the D-Link and an Ethernet cable connecting to the new Verizon device, then Ethernet into the tower Ethernet connector. Using either wireless simply means signing in to your choice of systems.
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or if it helps any?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You should be able to simply connect your existing router into one of the Ethernet ports on the new router.

There is a user guide on the Internet at http://www.belkin.com/networking/manual ... 1_N750.pdf but this doesn't give enough information about the configuration settings to offer you any further advice. Try just connecting it, and configure the new router with Wireless either turned off or set to a completely different SSID and see what happens.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks gents.
Interestingly my IP will not assist me with the connection of my Belkin set up to their modem/router. And you can't get information from the product 'manufacturer' ... they say you must contact your IP. Great, seems lack of coverage, can't use my internet radio etc doesn't concern them. My internet radio will only accept WEP security and with the Belkin I can connect it this way on the Guest facility with the pcs on WPA/WPA2. Oh, and as I expected, there is not problem with my existing modem, it was their 'central' issue ... broadband is faster now but we have no analogue phones working. Waiting their solution. What has happened to good old customer service ... maybe its just my 'age.

I will try the LAN/WAN interconnect and if this does not work then maybe a parallel op on different channels is the way to go. Or just disconnect their modem/router completely :hairout:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Have I got this correct please
... both networks and my range extender off the original Belkin are all working, as is my internet radio off the Belkin Guest.
The Intendo 150 has a port (GbE WAN) so I plugged this into the Belkin WAN port that had been connected to my separate modem and almost immediately the Belkin + range fired up and I could connect. The two networks already had different SSID.

http://temp1.intenogroup.com/store/tabi ... fault.aspx

A check of network securities shows that they are all 'as was' WPA2 with same security codes.
So unless I have done something 'not recommended', all is working ... but what is a GbE WAN port?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume that it stands for Gigabit Ethernet WAN port.
Traditionally, the external (WAN) port was much slower (Megabit instead of Gigabit); because of increased broadband speeds the WAN port has become faster.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans.
Just to check I now have connected my Belkin to a traditional 'yellow' LAN port on the Intendo and it functions just the same without any recoding whatever.
So ... should I use a LAN port or the GbE WAN port or does it simply not matter? I am kind of assuming that if it works then its OK but there maybe some 'hidden' security issues?
Excuse my ignorance about such matters :sad:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A network expert will have to answer that - I'm just as ignorant :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:A network expert will have to answer that - I'm just as ignorant :grin:
I'm glad I am not alone ... :laugh:

So lets be having the views of our resident network experts please.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.