Unidentified Network

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
sobershea
2StarLounger

Unidentified Network

Post by sobershea »

This is a curiosity question more than anything. I have a desktop and two laptops all networked and all works fine. I'm curious why though, when I go into Network and Sharing (WIN7) on the desktop, it shows the LAN as public and unidentified. Since all my networking is done through a Netgear router, my feeble mind says I am not using the LAN. BUT, the fact that it say Public is kind of bothersome. Is there some setting somewhere to make it not Public? Or is it just a Windows thing and I don't need to worry about it? I would like to "identify" the LAN and make it private, if you all think it is necessary.Image
TIA
Sherry

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Unidentified Network

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Sherry, this will help you.
Network Connections.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

George, I am attaching a picture of my IPCONFIG. I'm not sure if I was supposed to use the 1.1 or the 1.7 address. Also, in the instructions it says to "locate the adapter you are using". I made the changes to the Local Area Connection, though I USE the Netgear. Anyhow, I change the Local Area Connection twice, trying the 1.1 and the 1.7, both times rebooting. The end result was that either way, I still ended up with a Public Unidentified network.
Sherry

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Have you checked this?
Go to control panel>Network & Sharing Center.
Under "Active Networks, click on the network listed. It should bring up a screen similar to the screenshot below.
Select Home Network and make sure the box on the last line is UN-checked.
Capturenet.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Well I can't seem to get that page. When I click on the icon (a bench) for the Local Area Connection on the left side, I get a dialog box that appears to allow me to change the name from Unidentified Network. However it won't let me type anything. When I click on the hyperlink on the right side that says Local Area Connection, and select Diagnose, it tells me it has an invalid IP configuration. I get that answer whether I use the default gateway of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.7 (I still don't know which one I am supposed to use from the IPCONFIG picture in the previous post). Any other ideas?

TIA
Sherry

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Sherry, your router's default gateway is 192.168.1.1
-
If you ticked the box in Bob's image, heres how to fix it. http://www.mediafire.com/?7mgr0wx3m3xkfs1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

George, before I do this I have a question. Right now, the Netgear wireless works fine. I am able to share files between computers as well as use the Internet on all computers. Will "fixing" the Local Area Connection mess with my working setup? I don't want to mess with something if it doesn't need fixing. I guess my question is, is there any harm to having a Local Area Connection that says it is unidentified and says it has no network access, when my wireless connection works fine? This all started because I was curious why it would be unidentified and public. But does it matter? And will any of the changes you just sent mess with my Netgear wireless connections?
Sherry

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Sherry, If you change as I suggested, and set to a 'Home' or 'Work' network, your Firewall will work as intended by Mr Gates.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

OK. Thanks for the confirmation. Will try this tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks again.
Sherry

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Typically, the LAN connection is for a wired connection. Your picture shows you using a wireless connection. Have you ever used a wired connection for that PC?

Joe
Joe

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Well, I followed the steps and initially the unidentified LAC was changed to a Home group and it didn't say public. However, the moment I rebooted, it was back to being a public unidentified network. So, I am asking myself, why do I need the LAC? Everything goes through the Netgear router which is wireless. So I decided to disable the LAC and reboot and see if there were any repercussions. So far, not. So I guess I am good to go. I got rid of that annoying unidentified network. I am going to do some research to see why I would even need the LAC.

Thanks all,
Sherry

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Sherry, the LAC is what allows you to connect from 1 pc to another on your home Network, Default name 'Workgroup' for file sharing.
-
Have you ever connected to anyone else's network. If so, there will be 2 entries as in my image although it only shows one, as I don't use other networks.
RR.jpg
Yours will show as 'Netgear' (as you never changed the SSID in your router) your home network. Any others can be deleted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Joe P, I have never used a wired connection with this PC. George, I use the Netgear for my Internet connection as well as my house network. I think you are saying it is OK to disable the LAC. So far, everything is working fine, so I'm guessing I didn't need it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Funny where a little bit of curiosity takes you.. :laugh:
Sherry