Sharing a Printer

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Sharing a Printer

Post by BobH »

This Easter Egg hiding business can be fun, but right now it's driving me nuts. :hairout:

I have this Win7 computer and a WinXP computer. The XP system has a Dymo Label Maker printer cabled to it. On the XP system the printer is shared. I'm trying to get to it from the Win7 system but do not see it in the list of Devices and Printers. I can see that the other computer (Dell-E310) is shared when I click to add a printer. When I click on it, I'm asked for a User Name and Password to connect to Dell-E310. I do not recall either the user name or password that I set up when I set up sharing on these machines.

Is there any way to find the User Name and Password that Win7 is expecting to send to the XP machine? Here is a screenshot . . .
Error sharing.jpg
I'm not even certain what information this panel is asking for. Do I have a User Name on the XP machine? If so, how do I discover what it is? Is the password the same one that I use to access the wireless network or is it a password set up on the XP machine? I know the wireless network password. I've tried it with all combinations of User Names that I can remember ever using. I've come to suspect that the protocol for validation of the request to add the printer to my Win7 system is using terminology that is lost on me.

Any light you can shed on this mystery would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Sharing a Printer

Post by Claude »

In XP, go into the Control Panel, click on User Accounts, you'll see what the username is. In my case, it's simply my name. I don't have an XP password.

Having said that, my Win 7 Laptop doesn't ask for login credentials when I add an XP printer, I just added another printer to it, no problems.
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Claude!

I'm still having difficulty even after finding this information: Microsoft Answers.

You can see in this screenshot that I followed the suggestions to add the remote printer (on the xp system) from the win7 system using the . . . Add a Local Printer>Create a New Port>Local Port process. I am certain that the names of the winxp computer and the printer are spelled and capitalized correctly. On the xp system the printer in question IS shared.

Instead of getting to the Add New Hardware process as the information indicates I should, I get the logon error saying that I've used a bad username or password.

The article mentions sharing between a 32-bit xp machine and a 64-bit Vista machine and does NOT specifically include win 7, but it does show Win 7 and XP as the systems in the question. Could I be barking my shins on a win 7 logon issue? I've tried searching on the error message and found only suggestions to modify system config files. I'm reluctant to do that (with my limited skill set). It really shouldn't be so difficult to share resources. I even looked at the HomeGroup options, but win xp does not support it.

Any other suggestions?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

On the Win 7 machine: What happens when you look at the network, get into the XP machine. Can you see the printer there, and if yes, what happens when you double-click the printer ?
Cheers, Claude.

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

Does the Dymo Label Maker printer have a properties page such as this? If so, make sure "Share this printer" is checked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:music:

JB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Claude wrote:On the Win 7 machine: What happens when you look at the network, get into the XP machine. Can you see the printer there, and if yes, what happens when you double-click the printer ?
Thank you, Claude!

I apologize for being so bit dense about this. On the Win 7 machine, when I Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing, I get this panel (network name is blurred out):
network map.jpg
If I click on the 'See full map' link, after some processing I get this panel:
network map 2.jpg
If I click to see other devices, I get this panel:
Other Devices.jpg
From this information, I believe that the network shows the XP machine (Dell-E310) but does not show the label printer.
I don't know what you mean by "get into the XP machine." I can see the XP machine as the panels indicate but I cannot see what is attached to it.

FWIW the HP6700 printer is attached to the router and not the to XP machine or the the Win 7 machine. I can print to it from either machine (as well as from my iPhone and iPad).

Again, thank you for the help and for your patience.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

June Bug wrote:Does the Dymo Label Maker printer have a properties page such as this? If so, make sure "Share this printer" is checked.
Hi June Bug! I was in your part of the world a couple of weeks ago (in Clinton, NC - not too far away) visiting my brother.

Yes, the XP machine shows the label printer as shared. It is checked in the appropriate box.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Please try the sequence of troubleshooting steps in Troubleshooting shares on a home network and let us know what results you get
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

On the network panel, double-click DELL-E310, you won't see the printers on that machine from that view. Once you've done that, uou should see the printer, if yes, double-click on the printer.
Cheers, Claude.